Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a used car dealership by me that I test drove a couple trucks at last weekend. I didn't want any of them, one being a Tundra that had a bad shake to it and I told them if they get it fixed, I might be interested, they never called me back and a couple Titans I was trying out. They call me the following Saturday and told me they just got in a 2015 Tundra with a supercharger. I had them send me pics and confirmed it was a TRD supercharger. The truck has 50k on it and is only a SR5, so missing some of the options I currently have in my 07 limited and options I want to have.

The practical adult side of me is thinking to stay away, it probably was beat on and the life of the truck will probably be diminished.

The fun kid side of me is saying to go get it and have some fun.

I tow a 6.5k camper around, last summer going on a 4000 mile road trip and doing another one next summer. I currently have 200k on my current Tundra and would like to get the same amount out of my next one. Would it be a bad move to buy the supercharged Tundra?

·
Registered
48 Posts
I see you sent a PM maybe with info to his questions? TBH I'm sort of interested too. My truck has 85K on it and am on the fence of whether or not add a s/c to it. Not looking for street racing, just wondering if the s/c makes a much added difference when towing.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I see you sent a PM maybe with info to his questions? TBH I'm sort of interested too. My truck has 85K on it and am on the fence of whether or not add a s/c to it. Not looking for street racing, just wondering if the s/c makes a much added difference when towing.
I originally added the SC for towing I thought I'd be doing. Same torque as the early Cummins in the Ram with Toyota reliability. I am very careful with my truck and rarely use over 50% throttle but when you need it it is nice to have. You need to meet the Tundra's owner and inspect their truck to make decision if they beat on it or not.

Toyota designed their SC for the life of the truck and in fact Matt from MCM has over 200K on his daily driven SC Tundra.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I originally added the SC for towing I thought I'd be doing. Same torque as the early Cummins in the Ram with Toyota reliability. I am very careful with my truck and rarely use over 50% throttle but when you need it it is nice to have. You need to meet the Tundra's owner and inspect their truck to make decision if they beat on it or not.

Toyota designed their SC for the life of the truck and in fact Matt from MCM has over 200K on his daily driven SC Tundra.
Thank you. I wouldn't get to meet the owner, this is a kind of shady used car lot that buys all their vehicles at auction. It might have been a trade-in, but I doubt it. I think I found one that isn't Supercharged.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Thank you. I wouldn't get to meet the owner, this is a kind of shady used car lot that buys all their vehicles at auction. It might have been a trade-in, but I doubt it. I think I found one that isn't Supercharged.
I'd have a hard time purchasing a truck of used car lot- especially the shady type!

You can use something like searchtempest to scan both CL and eBay for specialty trucks like a SC Tundra.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I bought my truck new 8 years ago. I keep it clean and well serviced. Like most people that grow up their lifestyles change and family size grows. I have lots of hobby's now that involve towing so my demands on my 1/2 ton truck are right there towards its limits. I have been looking into diesels but theyre just so expensive and not sure I will like the ride. I love my Tundra and probably would never get a different 1/2 ton truck. Installing the Supercharger is hefty out of pocket expense. Ive priced between $7K-$9K professionally installed/tuned. Buying a diesel is an even more hefty expense though. If adding the supercharger augments/benefits towing demands then I would say that would be the cheaper route and I get to keep my favorite truck. I would just hate to spend the money adding it and it not being as much as a benefit and end up going the route of a diesel AFTER spending that money supercharging it. Seems like I've read that most people with SC's stop light race which I have no interest in.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts