Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had to have my fuel pump replaced in my 2017 flex fuel sr5 cm. Truck would hard crank start and would only get running after a few tries, overall idle, rev and other fuel issues. Basically ran like crap. Service manager told me they were an issue from the day the truck rolled off the line and are only replacing them if there is customer concern. It is a problem with identifying the new fuels and setting the system accordingly. Anyone with a newer flex fuel Tundra should be taking it in to replace, they are all problematic.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Just had to have my fuel pump replaced in my 2017 flex fuel sr5 cm. Truck would hard crank start and would only get running after a few tries, overall idle, rev and other fuel issues. Basically ran like crap. Service manager told me they were an issue from the day the truck rolled off the line and are only replacing them if there is customer concern. It is a problem with identifying the new fuels and setting the system accordingly. Anyone with a newer flex fuel Tundra should be taking it in to replace, they are all problematic.
I’ve had zero issues with mine. They won’t replace it just to replace it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If I just go to the dealer they’ll replace it without it failing?
Obviously I don’t work at the service center, so I don’t know their exact policy. But I was told they are all defective and will be replaced when a customer has a concern. The only reason it is not being recalled is they don’t consider it a safety issue. I told them if I’m out in the bush and my truck won’t start that is a safety issue for me! The problem comes when you switch fuels and the computer doesn’t make the adjustments for the specific fuel. The truck will begin to flood itself when started because it is not getting the mixture right. If you can get it started it will run, just not as good as it should.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Obviously I don’t work at the service center, so I don’t know their exact policy. But I was told they are all defective and will be replaced when a customer has a concern. The only reason it is not being recalled is they don’t consider it a safety issue. I told them if I’m out in the bush and my truck won’t start that is a safety issue for me! The problem comes when you switch fuels and the computer doesn’t make the adjustments for the specific fuel. The truck will begin to flood itself when started because it is not getting the mixture right. If you can get it started it will run, just not as good as it should.
So don’t switch fuels!

·
Registered
151 Posts
I am wondering if the service dept was blowing smoke (dealerships are idiots 4 the most part) and it was the fuel density that the computer was reading (?) Issue that many flex fuels have had. Never heard of fuel pump issues and have almost 750k miles driving tundras since '03.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am wondering if the service dept was blowing smoke (dealerships are idiots 4 the most part) and it was the fuel density that the computer was reading (?) Issue that many flex fuels have had. Never heard of fuel pump issues and have almost 750k miles driving tundras since '03.
The computer is also part of the problem. It was also reprogrammed, not just reset.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I’m pretty sure this is the only time I’ve heard of an issue with fuel pumps.
It wasn’t the only time the dealership that sells more Tundras than any other has heard of it. They replace the pump on every one of these trucks. I was told by the service manager that this was a problem from the second these trucks rolled off the line.

·
Registered
128 Posts
So don’t switch fuels!
If you carry fuel cans, it's smart to have normal gas in them vs. flex since you can use normal gas in generators, help other folks who need gas, fill the toys you're hauling, etc. AND you can put it in your own truck, and use someone ELSE'S normal gas cans. I can see a lot of times that switching fuel would be something to prepare for.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If you carry fuel cans, it's smart to have normal gas in them vs. flex since you can use normal gas in generators, help other folks who need gas, fill the toys you're hauling, etc. AND you can put it in your own truck, and use someone ELSE'S normal gas cans. I can see a lot of times that switching fuel would be something to prepare for.
For me it’s a matter of function. A flex fuel vehicle should be able to take both types of fuel, period. It really isn’t much of a debate to argue that you can’t use something as intended because if you do it will give you an issue.

·
Registered
188 Posts
check the threads on ethanol fuel percentage... im not sure but i believe the "fix" is to replace the fuel pump, and maybe a software update as well. My computer reads about 33% ethanol even though I only use E10 fuel all the time. I am not currently having issues, but I am watching things to make sure i can have it covered under warranty if I develop issues.

·
Registered
496 Posts
check the threads on ethanol fuel percentage... im not sure but i believe the "fix" is to replace the fuel pump, and maybe a software update as well. My computer reads about 33% ethanol even though I only use E10 fuel all the time. I am not currently having issues, but I am watching things to make sure i can have it covered under warranty if I develop issues.
Sounds crazy, but when you go to fill up, make sure you are filling up with the engine at normal operating temp and engine is off with the key out of the ignition. After you fill up, it needs to be driven over 5 miles AND over 7 minutes for it to perform its calculation, and that is normal driving with no hard accelerations. Yes, crazy. I, like yourself, use E10 and was filling up at a station close to my house and not letting the truck do it’s calculation after filling. It would routinely post 20-22% ethanol content. Since reading the owners manual and finding the info about the drive times and distance, my readings are now 8-10% consistently, which is spot on.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Sounds crazy, but when you go to fill up, make sure you are filling up with the engine at normal operating temp and engine is off with the key out of the ignition. After you fill up, it needs to be driven over 5 miles AND over 7 minutes for it to perform its calculation, and that is normal driving with no hard accelerations. Yes, crazy. I, like yourself, use E10 and was filling up at a station close to my house and not letting the truck do it’s calculation after filling. It would routinely post 20-22% ethanol content. Since reading the owners manual and finding the info about the drive times and distance, my readings are now 8-10% consistently, which is spot on.
Add to your list that there's a minimum amount of fuel you have to add in order for it to recalculate... Mine doesn't seem to recalc it unless I fill from under about 1/2 a tank.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
188 Posts
27 gallon fill up tonight. Drove 5.6 miles after.. About 10 - 15 minutes. No change on the ethanol pct. Stayed at 33.7. Filled with Costco E 10.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
For me it’s a matter of function. A flex fuel vehicle should be able to take both types of fuel, period. It really isn’t much of a debate to argue that you can’t use something as intended because if you do it will give you an issue.
Whomever told you that all of them are bad told you a lie. You can get a bad part in anything.

The issue is simple.

Ethanol requires more fuel to produce the same engine output. When you get a flex fuel, you're getting a fuel pump with more capacity.
There is no "ethanol" sensor. The percentage is calculated based on engine output. If you're not getting enough fuel pressure, the engine will still run but the system thinks you're running a higher percentage of ethanol in the fuel. Hence, the higher "incorrect" readings.

Replacing the fuel pump to get the correct fuel pressure will fix the issue.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts