Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got an old Ford ranger thats getting tired so I've been shopping f150s and tundras pretty hard. I like the looks and price of the f150s better but I know lots of people that have had problems with Ford's and very few that have had problems with a tundra. Several guys at work have them and love em with high mileage issue free.

What I want is a 5.7, crew max, 4x4, with center console and a 100k warranty. I can build one for 40k on the Toyota web site. Which puts me pretty close to where I wanna be price wise after rebates and a little haggling I think . I can't seem to find one at a dealership. All the trucks at dealers are limited or platinum. Closest I found was a little under 39k+ ttl after rebates and haggle but I think it had a couple more options on it than just sr5 upgrade for the console. I have 15k to put down and id like my payments to be under 400 a month for 60 or absolutely no more than 66 months.

The thing I find so strange is almost every dealership wants to run my credit before we even get started on price and some as soon as I walk in the door. All my scores are over 800 but no dealers seem to wanna take my word and negotiate on price before a credit app.

Last month I bought my wife a new camry and I found a dealer that ended up being 7k less otd than any other dealer but it was end of the month and he said he only needed to sell a few more cars to get the dealer bonus so he took a loss on our car to get it. I tried to go back to the same salesman but he's good at his job so understandably they made him a sales manager.

I found a f150 that was a xl crew 5.0 4x4 stx with a console but no other options. Lack of a backup cam or power seats and a jerk sales manager were all that really made me walk. For 37k otd before an extended warranty. Are there any tundras out there that meet what I want in this price range new?

·
Registered
738 Posts
The 2018s should be hitting lots soon so I would think you'd be able to pull a good deal on 2017. I would find a 2017 that you like and haggle price from there to get where you want and I've always found that pitting one dealer vs another has saved me money.

·
Free Tire Finalist
4,610 Posts
Just get your loan pre-approved at your bank or credit union. Then when the sales douche wants to run your credit, tell him to fuk off and consider it a cash sale.

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
Yea, never let them run your credit until you're ready to buy or if you're getting preapproved by a bank of your choice.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Fwiw, i bought a 2017 crewmax 4x4 5.7 Trd offroad truck for 38.5k plus ttl. Options are trd package, sr5 upgrade and all weather mats. Couldve done better on just a plane jane sr5.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Man that's a good deal compared to what I've been finding. The best I've been offered so far is 38,397+ ttl for a crew max 5.7 with sr5 upgrade only.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Have you tried an online car buying service like Costco or USAA?

I used the USAA car buying service to buy my 2017. I put in exactly what I wanted, the car buying service found a few dealers that had the model (options were up in the air). USAA gave me a certificate that guaranteed the max price I'd have to pay. I already knew which dealer I wanted to go to so I called them up. Told them I had a USAA certificate. Online sales guy said "I've got the truck and can sell it at that price, when can you come in?" I went in a few days later and negotiated another $1200 off and bought the truck.

If you use the USAA app you literally hit a button to pay the dealer. They never ran my credit (because I was already approved through USAA), never had to sit in the finance managers office, in and out 45 mins.

·
Registered
5 Posts
First and foremost, don't go Ford, no matter how laborious the process gets, get a Tundra.

I did try the USAA buying service, but the rates for the loan were 2.9% and Toyota was offering 1.9%, so I ended up doing my haggling at the dealership and using Toyota to do the financing.

If you know the dealer has the truck you want, I would stick to your guns on negotiating first, because if they run your credit and you do not like the price they give you, then you have sliced points off of your credit score for no good reason.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Fwiw, i bought a 2017 crewmax 4x4 5.7 Trd offroad truck for 38.5k plus ttl. Options are trd package, sr5 upgrade and all weather mats. Couldve done better on just a plane jane sr5.
What I paid for a similar D.C. and they gave me high retail-excellent condition for my 2004 GMC Z71. Used Costco buying program for $1000 savings.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I considered the f150 too. I was going to get the 3.5 ecoboost, xlt sport with the 302 and max trailering package. They put me at about $42000 out the door. They took about 10k off the msrp but you pay taxes pre rebates. I got my limited for $39 out the door. Plus I was trading in a 16 mustang and I got screwed on it. So why would by another Ford and risk getting screwed on resale like my mustang?

Not to mention all the problems they are having with the ecoboost and new 10 speed. From the ford owners online they tell you to buy the ford if you want a loaded truck but will probably have some issues or you buy the tundra which is kinda plain Jane but will run forever without any problems? These are current f150 owners too. To me reliability trumps bells and whistles.

·
Premium Member
638 Posts
our son having owned chebbies and now a doge (lol yeah) is also looking. When he looked into the TSS and TRD Pro compared to f-1-fiddy there was a 7 to 9k delta.
So I pulled out the window sticker for my 2014 which was around 44k with the black rims and BFGs etc. So quite surprise of how little price went up since then and now for a closely matched up unit.
Ford OTOH has really become proud of theirs.

Although Tundra still has points I don't like and I have my pet peeves (don't we all?) I will still keep mine over a 1-fiddy.
If ever I was to need another truck for the same MPGs it would be the 6.2L F-250 w/ 4.30 rear axle.
Having said all that I did watch a lot of vids on the ECO Boost and common issues. The smog recircs and dumps straight into the #2 & #3 intake valves causing misfires and cold start rough idles. This is due to design of the direct injection and the stage intake cycles of pre-boost and on the boost.

Just sharing some items to consider when making a decision......yeah I'm still a closet Ford fan at heart, but search videos on issues for eco versus Tundra and one may be pleasantly surprised on how well Tundras hold up....
Ford MPGs are nice but pulling, hauling and that sweet 4.30 rear end (yeah Kardtrashians have nothing like this), it is a value buy and and a grin generator.

Good luck on your decision. It is one of those YMMV deals and has to be a good fit for your situation.....Cheers!

·
Registered
4 Posts
What I paid for a similar D.C. and they gave me high retail-excellent condition for my 2004 GMC Z71. Used Costco buying program for $1000 savings.
I was getting terrible offers everywhere from everyone on my Mustang. Settled on 25k, as Hesser matched the highest offer. 2015 GT PP with 9500 miles, unfortunately wrong time to trading in a Mustang especially with the refresh 2018s hitting the lots in a couple months.

·
Registered
21 Posts
It might be a good idea to post your location so members that are near you and have had good luck with a dealership and/or salesperson could give you some advice.

I agree that you should not let the dealer run your credit until you have settled on a truck and deal. As mentioned above, it generally dings your score every time it's run. There are good dealers out there...you just have to find one in your area.

Good Luck!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.