Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After dealing with some FFV issues and having my truck run in E85 mode while not running E85, and getting away from these stupid winter blend fuels here we are. Ahhhhhhhhhh........ all good again.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh, and to give a little more info. About once per week I'll track my morning commute to work from home to the office which is about 26 miles. Back in the winter I was getting 13-14 on this same commute.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Damn....wish I could get that kind of mileage!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Fill up to fill up, round trip Billings Mt. 60 -65 mph, I just pulled 17.4. And I only have 1000 miles on mine.:D

·
Registered
13,893 Posts
Glad it's taken care of.

I am holding steady at 8.x% ethanol. ( i think 8.6... Forget)

·
Registered
623 Posts
How did you know it was running in e85 mode and how did you fix it?
Yes please elaborate on this. I had read someyhing that made me think my truck had this problem especially during cold winter mornings that I could barely get my truck started. Maybe this is wrong and I can get it dice then get badass mileage

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
I hit 60 mpg...... when I reset my info while coasting down a hill....that sure didn't last :D

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
I am averaging 13.2 for a 60 mile round trip commute. About 70percent highway, 30 percent city. Dealer told me to wait until summer to.refresh the.computer when yota has a fix. Truck has 1300 miles. This is a huge mileage hit from my last 2 tundra.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That was all driving, not stopping at a gas station and idling etc. After driving to lunch yesterday, driving home, stopping to eat with the squaw, it leveled out to 16.5. Still happy about that. As for the "Alcohol density" problems I've had and others have had see the thread here http://www.tundratalk.net/forums/tu...cm-5-7-flex-4x4-rough-cold-starts-solved.html.

To save you 20 pages of reading I'll sum it up here...... My 5.7L FFV THOUGHT I was running E85 in the engine and causing the truck to run stupid, it would miss pretty bad at certain rpm ranges. This is a simple flaw with the FFV's computer incorrectly reading the alcohol density level. It perceived my alcohol density to be at like 50-60% so it ran goofy. There are several factors that go into this - crappy gas, winter blends etc. Previously, I was having the dealer re-flash my ECU at ever oil change to fix the problem periodically. I called Toyota corporate and they recommended that I actually run a tank of E85, then some good fuel to try to SHOW the truck the difference and learn the different fuels to prevent this from happening. Well, that worked and fixed my problem and now that winter blends are gone I'm getting back to my previous mpg's too.

What has helped me achieve those mpg's is keeping it between 70-75 on the interstate, and a mixture of 45 mph rds with stop lights etc. I'm content now.

·
Registered
90 Posts
K-rist.........I've only got a tad over 3,000 miles on my new DC RW and my average is 14.6 NOT happy about that.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts