Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Background: Bought the truck last spring, had the lift put on at 1763 miles. The shop that did the lift charged me $150 for the alignment and gave me a print out with these numbers:

camber: 0.3 / -0.1
caster: 3.6 / 3.9
toe 0.06 / 0.08, total toe 0.14

I installed new bfgs at about 2000mi. Rotated at 3200mi. After a while I noticed that the inside of the fronts were feathering. At 6000mi I took it back to the shop and complained, they offered to align for free. Only when they came back they said they adjusted the toe, but couldn't produce a print out. After I kept making noise, they admitted that they used a tape to measure front and back of the wheels and then adjusted the toe. I was done with them at this point and left. At 7500mi I rotated tires. The pair that went to the front were barely feathered. At 10000mi I noticed even more feathering so I took it to a real alignment shop that I trust and have worked with in the past. I started to tell them about the numbers I want from socal's thread, but he stopped me in the middle and said they were very familiar with lifted tundras. Here are the numbers I just got today:

BEFORE
camber: -0.1 / 0.0
caster: 1.2 / 1.3
toe 0.18 / 0.08, total toe 0.25

AFTER
camber: 0.1 / 0.0
caster: 3.6 / 3.6
toe 0.10 / 0.08, total toe 0.18

So here is my issue. Did the shop lie to me about doing the alignment and got a free $150 off me??? I dont care about the money or the lie. But if they told me the truth, then how the heck could my caster go out of whack like that :confused:

Should I be worried about bent, broken, or failing parts or was I just duped?

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
150 for an alignment... that alone is a rip off..

·
Registered
7,273 Posts
Anybody can align their own truck real easily. Use a level and tape measure. Just adjust your alignment cams so that they're even from side to side, and front to back. You'll have to go back and forth from adjusting that to adjusting toe as 1 adjustment affects the other. The specs are simple, make sure the tire is standing straight up and down, the bubble can touch the outside line meaning slightly negative. And using a tape measure take a measurement of the distance between the front of the tires and rear of the tires. The front measurement needs to be 1/8" smaller than the rear of the tires.

This is how I set up 1gen tundras, 2 gen tundras, Fj cruisers, I beam race trucks, etc. your truck will steer straight, it won't drift, wander, dart around. It will track nicely and the steering wheel will self center.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts