Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Very cool, truck looks awesome!! I just ordered my 4 shims (2 per side /front), +3 shackles and the steering kit! Looks like you have spacers too (which David recommended). Which size/brand did you go with?

·
Registered
55 Posts
I installed the CB +2 shackles on my 2017 CM Pro. Hard to tell but I think the ride quality is improved (less bed roll when cornering) and just feels more sturdy. I'm really liking the stance of the truck and the slight rake that I have now, also looking forward to no squatting when loaded down. The shackles are top-notch quality and CB provided everything i needed in the kit.

The install was fairly straight-forward...CB has a good video on YouTube which was helpful. Getting the stock bushings out was not easy, but to be expected with new bushings and only 900 miles on the truck. I rented a ball joint press from the local Auto Zone and that is definitely a required tool to get those stock bushings out. Make sure you clean out the leafs after you get the bushings out, I gave them a heavy dose of WD40 but without that the new poly bushings would not slide in.

I didn't install the carrier bearing drop kit. The truck seems to ride great without it but do I need to do this? Will not having it impact anything at highway speeds or cause long-term damage?

·
Registered
146 Posts
I installed the CB +2 shackles on my 2017 CM Pro. Hard to tell but I think the ride quality is improved (less bed roll when cornering) and just feels more sturdy. I'm really liking the stance of the truck and the slight rake that I have now, also looking forward to no squatting when loaded down. The shackles are top-notch quality and CB provided everything i needed in the kit.

The install was fairly straight-forward...CB has a good video on YouTube which was helpful. Getting the stock bushings out was not easy, but to be expected with new bushings and only 900 miles on the truck. I rented a ball joint press from the local Auto Zone and that is definitely a required tool to get those stock bushings out. Make sure you clean out the leafs after you get the bushings out, I gave them a heavy dose of WD40 but without that the new poly bushings would not slide in.

I didn't install the carrier bearing drop kit. The truck seems to ride great without it but do I need to do this? Will not having it impact anything at highway speeds or cause long-term damage?
I dropped my carrier. It was a 5 minute job. Ekstrom said it should be done with +2 & +3 and included the two small billet bushings in kit. It starts changing rear driveshaft angle from factory when you add spring lift.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. I guess I'll bet back under there and install the drop kit. I know it's an easy install but I didn't know if it was required. Sounds like it can only help so I'll throw in the spacers next chance I get. Thanks again for the help!

·
Registered
55 Posts
I just installed the spacers to drop the carrier bearing...2 minute job and figured it can't hurt (and it sounds like CB recommends installing these with his +2 shackles). I really like how the truck handles with the new shackles. Maybe they don't really impact much but the ass end feels more stable and less roll. I don't like the roll feeling at all, and I know I could install a rear sway bar but I'm not sure it's necessary with the CB shackles in there. The truck now has a slight rake but it's not really noticeable, if anything it looks more level than before, and I like that it won't squat when loaded down. Thumbs up to CoachBuilder on the awesome shackles and poly bushings!

·
Registered
54 Posts

I assume you are using the stock rear shocks....
Did you have a problem with the shocks bottoming out? (axle not dropping enough to install the shackle bolts)
If you did... Did you force the leaf spring down to get the bolts installed? Or unbolt the shocks until you had everything installed?

Are you concerned with the rear suspension fully extending and damaging the rear shocks and exhaust?

·
Registered
146 Posts
I assume you are using the stock rear shocks....
Did you have a problem with the shocks bottoming out? (axle not dropping enough to install the shackle bolts)
If you did... Did you force the leaf spring down to get the bolts installed? Or unbolt the shocks until you had everything installed?

Are you concerned with the rear suspension fully extending and damaging the rear shocks and exhaust?
I have the same truck and installed the same CB +2's.
Never had an issue with install. It was close to exhaust and shock bottom, but had no problems. Everyone went together like clockwork with Coachbuilder.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I had to raise the truck up enough to get the pressure off of the leafs. My jack stands weren't enough so I put some wood blocks underneath the jack stands to get a few extra inches. Once I did that the install was easy, in my experience there was no need to unbolt the rear shocks but CB does recommend that in the installation instructions. I'm not sure about damage to anything as a result of the slight lift. I haven't noticed any potential damage since installing and I've read a good bit about these shackles and never heard a mention of damage to anything from installing these. CoachBuilder products are rock-solid and it sounds like there's been plenty of research to make sure they don't damage anything. With the upgraded shackles and bushings I've noticed an improved ride and less squatting when loaded down, I'm sure the poly bushings really help over the crap rubber bushings. The shackle/bushing kit isn't cheap, but I think it's absolutely worth the cost...just my 2 cents.

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
I don't see any reason the shackles would void anything.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts