Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the middle of installing Toytec shackles on my 2017 Tundra Pro with TRD exhaust. I have a problem... When I lower the rear axle to install the lower shackle bolts the leaf spring is hitting the exhaust so it will not drop low enough to complete the install. Has anyone else ran into this problem? What did you do to fix it?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Loosen and Rotate the tail pipe out the way so you can drop your spring far enough to install your shackle bolt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I took both exhaust pipes completely apart. Plenty of room now but something else it holding the axle. All hoses and lines still have some slack. It looks like the shocks are at full extension...

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The shocks are definitely bottomed out... Looks like this easy rear lift is a no go with stock shocks. I am really amazed that no one else has had this problem. Surely I'm not the first to try shackles only on a 2017 TRD Pro...

·
Registered
150 Posts
I have a different setup, so it may not work but I used the oem jack and put it towards the back eyelet between the leafpack and frame and was able to push the leafpack down and get my bolts through

·
Registered
150 Posts
Cuz once you get the toytecs bolted up it won't stay at full extension as you are describing, the axle will tuck back once up once the weight of the truck is on the leafpacks

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good video... Watched it many times. In the video he does not have shocks installed. I was able to bolt the toytec's in the middle position by pulling down the leaf spring. The exhaust would not bolt back up, so I went back to all stock. I was concerned that the rear suspension at full extension would damage the exhaust.

If anyone is interested in a set of Toytec shackles, bushings and drop kit send me a pm....

·
Registered
210 Posts
Good video... Watched it many times. In the video he does not have shocks installed. I was able to bolt the toytec's in the middle position by pulling down the leaf spring. The exhaust would not bolt back up, so I went back to all stock. I was concerned that the rear suspension at full extension would damage the exhaust.

If anyone is interested in a set of Toytec shackles, bushings and drop kit send me a pm....
Don't give up without at least reaching out to Toytec. You'll note he removed shocks only for videography.

I'm putting daves shims/shackles on my pro next week. I'll give you some feedback

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Don't give up without at least reaching out to Toytec. You'll note he removed shocks only for videography.

I'm putting daves shims/shackles on my pro next week. I'll give you some feedback
Good idea! I'll give them a call on Monday...

By the way
I used penetrating oil on my bushings for 4-5 days before trying to remove them. Still would not budge using the harbor freight ball joint remover. I hope you have better results than I had...

·
Registered
210 Posts
Good idea! I'll give them a call on Monday...

By the way
I used penetrating oil on my bushings for 4-5 days before trying to remove them. Still would not budge using the harbor freight ball joint remover. I hope you have better results than I had...
will burn mine out

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
I didn't do my own install, but when I had my CB +2's installed, the tech mentioned my old MBRP duals would contact the exhaust if I went offroad.
I didn't really take the truck offroad at that point and have since sold the exhaust.

Pretty sure I only had 1-1.5" clearance between shackles & drivers side of exhaust.

Now that I think about it, I'm kind of surprised I haven't read more comments on this, but I figured it was just the way MBRP routed their exhaust.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I just installed my toytec shackles and bushings yesterday. I have them in the tallest setting. I am at 25k miles in a 2014 in Georgia so no rust. I sprayed the bushings a couple days leading up to install then the night before. Used the ball jount bushing kit from advanced auto and a dewalt 20v impact and pushed them out no problem. At all especially after putting in a new battery.

·
Registered
14 Posts
My 2012 spent it's life in PA w/ the winters & all their salt. I read the horror stories about frozen shackles. Was super surprised & happy when they broke w/ an impact gun & then pulled out by hand! The rear shocks were total bullshit! No room to work & corrosion resulted in a an angle grinder removal for them.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
After all the problems think I found a solution to my problems.. Ready lift has the products that will allow me to keep the OEM suspension geometry.
"You also get bump stop extensions, brake line drop brackets AND most important, rear shock stem extensions that allow you to retain use of the TRD/Bilstein factory reservoir shocks! Here is a link to the product description. https://www.readylift.com/blog/2016/09/23/readylift-all-new-product-release-toyota-tundra-trd-pro-plus-lift-kits-available-for-order/

It seems to me that a lot of forum members are jeopardizing the factory warrantee, ride quality and usability. (My opinion)

I will be looking into exactly what I will need to purchase that keeps the proper geometry, use the OEM shocks and still use my Shackles to lift the rear.

·
Registered
210 Posts
After all the problems think I found a solution to my problems.. Ready lift has the products that will allow me to keep the OEM suspension geometry.
"You also get bump stop extensions, brake line drop brackets AND most important, rear shock stem extensions that allow you to retain use of the TRD/Bilstein factory reservoir shocks! Here is a link to the product description. https://www.readylift.com/blog/2016/09/23/readylift-all-new-product-release-toyota-tundra-trd-pro-plus-lift-kits-available-for-order/

It seems to me that a lot of forum members are jeopardizing the factory warrantee, ride quality and usability. (My opinion)

I will be looking into exactly what I will need to purchase that keeps the proper geometry, use the OEM shocks and still use my Shackles to lift the rear.
or you could just use coachbuilder shackles and shims

·
Registered
513 Posts

Tell me how that diff drop works with your Pro skid plate ;)

·
Registered
3,720 Posts

This may come across to you as harsh, but why would you add that garbage to an awesome TRD PRO?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
or you could just use coachbuilder shackles and shims
Maybe I have some form of deformed Pro but shackles and shims do not work for me. I'm not going to force the shackles to extend the leaf springs, bottom out the shocks and risk damage to the exhaust.

When all this started... I wanted to do was add a small amount of rake back into the rear of my truck. From all the posts here shackles and shims was all I needed to accomplish it.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts