Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I've done a search for "vibration" and saw many posts, but nothing that answers my question:

I just bought a 2002 Tundra 4x4 Limited with 124,000 miles from a local Ford dealer. It has Firestone Destination A/T's, 265/75R16 with plenty of tread left. I have no maintenance history. It's awfully cold changing oil on a snow-covered driveway, so I took it to a local quick lube place three days ago. Had oil changed and new air filter. The tech also told me that all four tires were "seriously under-inflated" and that he had filled them to 35 lbs. In 2wd I drove a few blocks to a U-Haul and picked up a small motorcycle trailer. On the interstate I felt a new vibration that would last for 3-4 seconds, then be gone for a few seconds, then return. I suspected it was due to the trailer. Next morning I drove slowly to the Yammie dealer to drop the bike off, then dropped the trailer off.

On my way to work on the interstate I had a MAJOR vibration, actually nearly a wobble, in the front. The vehicle and the steering wheel were really moving once I got it to 55 and above. Thinking about the "seriously under-inflated" statement, I slowed way down, worried about a belt separation at speed. The vibration was less but still noticeable. A few hours later nothing had changed so I limped home through town at low speed. I inspected the tires as well as I could without a lift and I saw no problems.

This is Fargo, and it is is Spring, so the next morning there was 3 inches of heavy wet snow on the roads. So I put it in 4wd and started off slowly to work. No vibration felt, so I slowly sped up to 55 and above, and the ride was back to normal. At lunch I went for a drive in 2wd and all was still normal.

Now I think the tires might not be the problem at all. Could something have been done during a wheels-on-the-ground oil change that would cause this? And could that have been "undone" by using 4wd for a while? Or is it my tires after all?

Any ideas? Anyone heard of anything like this?

Thanks in advance,
Richard, Fargo, ND

·
Premium Member
2,272 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,968 Posts
This could be a lot of things. Have you looked underneath to see if anything is worn? Grab and wiggle stuff?

One thing that comes to mind, if your tires were really under inflated before they may have developed irregular wear patterns that are now exaggerated since you have inflated the tires to a more suitable pressure. Check under your truck, look for loose or worn parts, check tie rod ends/lower ball joints, check if there is any mud stuck to your inner wheels, check your lower shock bushings.

Reactions: Fargo

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Will do once the temp climbs a bit. They've got a blizzard on the schedule for today and tomorrow so once that all melts I'll put my snowmobile suit on and crawl under the front end and check everything I can see. I didn't see any cupping or irregular tire wear but it might be a good idea to have a real tire expert look them over.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts