Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone change out there serpentine belt on a 5.7? I just did it and I have to say that if you do, do not buy a goodyear gatorback belt. This thing is a pain in the ass to install and all it did was make the loudest squealing noise..:mad:. At first i thought it was the belt tensioner and i bought one from sparks trd, changed it out and it still did the same damn thing. I thought i was saving money by not buying OEM, but there lies my problem. The belt product itself compared from OEM is so different. The oem feels heavier, made better and is magenetic. And when i installed the belt it just slipped on just a little easier. Now I've learned my lesson on buying OEM from now on (well just for Toyota's).

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Anyone change out there serpentine belt on a 5.7? I just did it and I have to say that if you do, do not buy a goodyear gatorback belt. This thing is a pain in the ass to install and all it did was make the loudest squealing noise..:mad:. At first i thought it was the belt tensioner and i bought one from sparks trd, changed it out and it still did the same damn thing. I thought i was saving money by not buying OEM, but there lies my problem. The belt product itself compared from OEM is so different. The oem feels heavier, made better and is magenetic. And when i installed the belt it just slipped on just a little easier. Now I've learned my lesson on buying OEM from now on (well just for Toyota's).
So u got oem on now?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
F&@k Y'all, I'm from Texas
13,742 Posts
Did you get the smaller 80945 Gatorback belt?

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
No problems here with a Dayco belt, sounds like wrong size if it was that hard to get on.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

Reactions: Mr. Creosote

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
LOL, something is wrong here --- my OEM belt was squealing so I bought the gator back belt on Amazon and installed myself, piece of cake, took a whole 30 mins, and I have never done a belt before. Yes, it is smaller than OEM, but if you think about it and pay attention to the routing, it's easy. This was back in maybe March and I have had no issues since then, runs smooth and quiet.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes i did go with the OEM and I have not had any problems since.
to tell you the truth i did not write down the goodyear belt number down, i just returned it to the wholesaler.
dayco is the same company that makes the OEM belt.
Installing the belt wasn't that much harder but there was a slight difference when i was slipping it on.
oem price in hawaii for the belt is $180. i found it online at sparks toyota for $97. the goodyear i dont know since my friend picked it up for me.

Also have any of you tried to put a magnet to the OEM belt versus a goodyear belt? The OEM is magnetic and the goodyear isn't. Just FYI..

·
Registered
125 Posts
I have had great luck with the Gatorback belts..In fact the Gatorback was the cure for anyone who had a 1st generation Tundra that had a belt the constantly chirped(if you didn't have the TBS done during the warranty and didn't want to pay our of pocket)...
I have never installed one on a new Tundra so I can't say how difficult of a job it is to do??

I have the Gatorback on my wifes Expedition too with no issues..

the only downside I can say about the gatorback is with all the cuts on the belt, it's difficult to see if it's cracking when the belt is older??

·
F&@k Y'all, I'm from Texas
13,742 Posts
oem price in hawaii for the belt is $180. i found it online at sparks toyota for $97. the goodyear i dont know since my friend picked it up for me.
OUCH! Talk about marking up the price.
Goodyear Gatorback 4080945 on Amazon is under $38 shipped.
Dayco 5080950 on Amazon is under $35 shipped.
Like you said, the OEM is a Dayco belt. The Gatorback 950 is too long and will squeal if installed which is why people use the Gatorback 945.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
^^I was gonna say, I thought $180 was ridiculous. I think I paid like $30 for my Corolla belt about 5 years ago. Unfortunately for retailers, Amazon always wins out with me. I can wait two days for Prime.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yeah it sucks living in hawaii. toyota/lexus/scion here has the market cornered since servco is the only toyota dealership on the island. plus when i picked up my tundra they never offered navigation, i mean how does anyone see anything in that little screen if they have the stock backup camera. thats why i bought mine from california and had it shipped here (plus the cost of the truck was cheaper with the shipping).

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
I lived out on Oahu for over three years. Absolutely loved it but had to move on. I think the Marine base is on one of the nicest pieces of land out there. Working on the flight line overlooking Kaneohe didn't hurt either. Neither did the 500 hours I logged "training" (sightseeing) in a military helo.

·
Registered
168 Posts
holy mother of god...you paid roughly 200 bucks for a belt and and install

1 - 20 of 44 Posts