Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,
Why is there no option for a Selectable eLocker? Lockers are known for their reliability, simple construction, and maintenance when compared to a mechanical LSD. Lockers have been around for a long time. They exist on current Toyota trucks and existed on past Toyota trucks. They're also available on a wide array of trucks, including medium duty trucks, Hino for example.

A summary of your responses have been the following:
* save weight
* lack of interest
* the ALSD does good enough
* reliability

Here are my responses to each of yours.
Save Weight: The optional factory installed brushed stainless steel running boards on my Tundra weigh as much or more than a locker would.

Lack of Interest: I don't know who you are surveying. I've been a Toyota Owners Intersection participate for the last two and a half years. I've filled out the Tundra HD survey, Tundra Engine Option Survey, etc.. Not once was there a question about a selectable eLocker.

Auto LSD: First, this is not an LSD. It is a less invasive Traction Control, that is it allows more wheel spin before engaging. The ALSD may be good in some situations, but it has its limits. As you state in the Tundra's manual, it may be necessary to disengage it to allow the vehicle to rock to get unstuck. It can also overheat.

Reliability: You've stated the an open differential is more reliable. I beg to differ. If the two differential types are subject to the same use, more specifically "redneck'en it", the locked differential will survive.

Finally, it will be interesting to see how automotive journalists will respond to the TRD Pro Tundra not having one.

I will point out there is a lot to like about my Tundra. To this day I still do not regret my decision to buy one. But the lack of this option is a head scratcher for me and others.

Thanks in advance for your time and expertise.
I and others look forward to your response.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Here is a good review (by a non-truck person!!!) on the 2014 4Runner. It has the 4x4 mechanical engagement (not the electric 4x4 engagement on the Tundra). Side note: None of the CNET peeps know anything about trucks; but it fun to watch their reviews anyway.

2014 Toyota 4Runner Trail Premium 4x4 Review - Watch CNET's Video Review

You will notice it has some pretty fancy pants off road capabilities. E- Locker, “Adjustable” A-Trac, and a few more off road fancies.

Possibly the nicest feature to me of the 4Runner over the Tundra is the “clock and temp” display on full time, that anyone can see in any lighting conditions. I miss that feature from my Ford….but I accept the Tundra as it is – part time “temp” display and almost on “clock” from the Entune. Seriously Toyota: Clock and Temp should always be “on” somewhere, like in the 4Runner.

Anyway, back on subject.

During the last Dallas Ice storm, I was able to go where I wanted when I wanted too and stay away from all the crazies that were crashing. Two of the crashes I saw were F150’s 2011 and 2013 models, 4x4 with E Lockers. Basically one crashed straight into a light pole, the other went off into the creek. I talked to both of them and took one driver to the closest fire station. The reason they crashed? Their E Lockers were “on” for traction; but they could not steer the truck on ice. The owner of the 2013 told me his AWD does not perform well on the ice, so he had to use the E-Locker…..but he thought he could still control it. Much to his surprise he learned otherwise.

Now for those of us that know how to use an E-Locker off road and in heavy mud; they are great….or at least one of your best chances of getting out of a jam. But on ice covered roads with lots of hills and sharp turns an E-Locker can be deadly. I doubt even the CNET testers know that, much less the average truck owner.

I guess the short answer for an E-Locker: For some it is very important for others it not important at all.

I guess for me I would be hard pressed to spend $350 additional for an E-Locker; but if I am stuck up to the frame in heavy mud, I might change my mind? In that type of mud, even an E-Locker may not save you?

Also very interesting is pricing strategy now used by Ford or price gouging is the more appropriate term. It is getting harder and harder to get true LSD’s on the F150, and when you can Ford is now charging a $2,000 plus premium for them over the E-Locker! One model that an LSD is available on: 2014 5.0 XLT 4x2 the 3.73 E-Locker option is $570, but the LSD option is $2,805. On many of the F150’s an LSD is no longer available. This is only marketing and profit driving, Ford has completely removed safety from the equation. That same option just 3 years ago was $250. That is a 10 times increase in price.

If I were going to do some serious off road stuff; then I would be looking to a Tacoma, 4Runner, or a real Jeep. The Tundra is really a bit on the Big side for that kind of stuff. This is all just my opinion and nothing more.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts