Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Looking to tailgate a lot this football season, and I don't want to kill the battery while listening to the radio for a couple hours.

I have a 1600w RMS system, and the amps have a combined fuse rating at 140 amps.

I also have an Optima yellow top, but I do have the lights dim on longer/louder bass notes. Also, the sub amp (Alpine PDX 1.1000) will occasionally enter protection mode (cuts off) on particularly power demanding bass. I have to turn the ignition off and back on to rest.

I drive an 08 5.7 DC with the towing package.

The amps are currently wired individually with two 4 GA wires from the battery to each amp. I bought a good quality 1/0 dual amp wiring kit kit to replace the dual power wires and hopefully that will help once installed.

Everything I've read says my alternator should be fine with my setup, but I'm not opposed to getting a HO alternator.

Since I'll be redoing the wires, I have a couple questions.

1. Would replacing the Optima with a Kinetik (faster discharge rate) help with the dimming lights?

2. What about adding a second battery (with an isolator) to help with both the dimming lights and run time with the engine off? Like a Kinetik 1400?

I'd really just like to do this once and have it done right.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance.
John

·
Registered
146 Posts
1. potentially, as long as you get a big enough battery. Look around you don't need to waste it on a kinetik. I have easily over 4,000 watts and no light dimming. I have 3 batteries aside from the stock that came in collectively cheaper than one kinetik.

2. If you plan to do any extended periods of music with the engine off a second battery isolated will be the best situation. That way you won't run the risk of running your starting battery down.

It all depends on how loud you plan to play your music and how long with the engine off. Every notch you turn the volume down really cuts down on the power draw.

A generator might be the best solution for your tailgating needs. The reason is it will end up being cheaper to have a generator than buying a new alternator every time you kill yours from always having to completely recharge your battery from dead.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts