Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, thanks in advance for your time. As the title suggests, I have scratched the hard black plastic on the side of my centre console. Anyone have any suggestions/products to try?

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
If your console is like my 2017 SR5, then it has a matte black finish, and there isn't going to be anything you can do about the scratch short of buying a new console. Scratches in hard plastics can be polished out using rubbing compound or polish, but if you polish a scratch on a matte black plastic finish you simply replace the scratch with a big shiny spot, which will be even more visible.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I haven't tried this on my Tundra yet, and I know the plastic used in the interior is different, but I had a Mitsubishi Montero that had some interior scratches that I was able to conceal pretty well with a small torch. I got one of those little butane soldering torches, probably from Harbor Freight or Home Depot, and found some fine sandpaper (probably 400 grit), gently heated the scratch with the torch then pressed the sandpaper to the soft plastic to blend the textures together. For fine scratches, just heat it and press it with your thumb and it will be about 90% better than it was. The only thing about this technique that concerns me is that the Tundra plastic is quite soft.

It's actually a pretty crappy interior compared to just about every Japanese vehicle I've ever owned, the plastic is not durable at all and scratches/pits easily. It's probably because the interior pieces are sourced from a U.S. supplier and the raw plastic is probably the same crap the the big 3 use. Japanese plastic (and rubber) is far more durable than most U.S. sourced plastic interior pieces for whatever reason. It's really my only complaint about the Tundra so no big deal in the grand scheme of things but annoying nonetheless.

·
Registered
2015 Toyota Tundra SR5 S/C
56 Posts
Ive run into some issues like this through the shops ive worked through. sometimes Nail polish can really make those scratches disappear. Like Oldguy43 said if its matte black it is pretty hard to find a fix but with some of the newer nail polishes out today you can get a pretty exact match. try it out.

·
Registered
534 Posts
While I love my Tundra, the plastic inside of these things is pure junk, softer than butter and easily scratched to hell.

It's a sad state of affairs when my decade old Ram had less interior scratching and scuffing than my Tundra did in a year.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Sad indeed. I came from a 2004 dakota and never dreamed that I'd be saying it had better materials than my 2015 tundra. Just had one of my front seat side panels replaced again yesterday because it was turning green. Door panels scratch with just your fingernails. I've learned to be extremely cautious. Funny thing is it's only the tundra. My moms got a 15 highlander and my dads got a 17 tacoma. Both interiors are fantastic. What gives?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Wow, I thought I was the only one that felt this way about the Tundra interior. Mine started getting scratched up the day I drove it home from the dealership. Very disappointing, but again, it's really the only thing I can fault it on.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.