Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is probably not uncommon ... at some point, wipers created some very fine, arc-shaped scratches in windshield.
The scratches are only visible with low-angle, direct sunlight. Scratches are so shallow, cannot feel them with a fingernail.
Wife thinks I'm crazy fussing over such a small, infrequently visible problem, but it bugs me.

It seems the accepted method for repair is power buffing with cerium oxide slurry.

I'd probably have a glass shop do the work, but am nervous the windshield could end up worse, or create new problems that weren't there before, eg optical distortion.

What's been you guys' experience with cerium oxide polishing?
Is it risky?
Will windshield become literally "good as brand new" ?

·
Registered
868 Posts
I’ve heard of the same process and even have a small bag of cerium oxide, but was too chicken to try it. I was going to use it in some car windows that were pinstriped by a local youth car wash fundraiser (not on the Tundra; I like the kids around here, but they aren’t allowed to wash my truck..)

I’m not sure what a glass shop would charge to buff and polish, but it might not be much more than having the windshield replaced. One wintry day, I had some snow slide off the roof of my car on to my nice hot, defroster on full blast, windshield with a recent rock chip and - CRRACK!! That made the decision for me. I had an appointment for a rock chip repair that week; ended up asking for a windshield instead. The price was better than expected.

Reactions: MikeMcRN

·
Registered
124 Posts
I just recently had mine replaced with an OEM Pilkington one for $275. If you’re in the NoVa area, call Windshield City in Chantilly. They have nothing less than 5 Stars.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
.... Wife thinks I'm crazy fussing over such a small, infrequently visible problem, but it bugs me...
To be clear, 95%+ of the people, 95%+ of the time, won't notice these few tiny scratches. Windshield replacement is too extreme a measure for my tastes.
Hoping to get some feedback, good or bad, on what to expect with cerium oxide buffing and especially "what can go wrong"

Some 20 yrs ago, one of the local SoCal "well reviewed" auto galss shops replaced my chevy truck windshield. They excessively scraped the metal frame with knives and razors ... and then did Not coat the recommended primer onto the metal frame ( I learned that later). A few years later, where they had scraped and not primed the metal frame, it started rusting, leading to water leaks at top of windshield. It would have cost $1000++ for the custom metal repair. Of course, the glass shop refused to compensate for the problem. I hate dealing with any of those places ... they are hacks, and they won't make good if problems arise a few yrs later.

·
Registered
868 Posts
The two biggest possible issues with polishing the glass with cerium oxide are heat and visual aberrations. Since the windshield is laminated safety glass, you can start to delaminate the glass if too much localized heat is introduced through the grinding process. Visual aberrations arise from the fact that you are now removing material from one area of the glass making a minor concave lens. I’ve seen this on other windows and it drives me batty; looks like a fun house mirror. Ok, not that bad, but you get the idea. I would imagine that if such minor scratches are bothersome to you, this would be outright unacceptable.

Perhaps a product like RainX would fill in the minor scratches. I don’t know if this will work, just spitballing.

Reactions: MikeMcRN

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thx, Blenton. That's the kind of feedback I was seeking.
Aberrations and delaminations are not risks worth taking!
I will just live with the very minor scratches.

·
Registered
2 Posts
This is probably not uncommon ... at some point, wipers created some very fine, arc-shaped scratches in windshield.
The scratches are only visible with low-angle, direct sunlight. Scratches are so shallow, cannot feel them with a fingernail.
Wife thinks I'm crazy fussing over such a small, infrequently visible problem, but it bugs me.

It seems the accepted method for repair is power buffing with cerium oxide slurry.

I'd probably have a glass shop do the work, but am nervous the windshield could end up worse, or create new problems that weren't there before, eg optical distortion.

What's been you guys' experience with cerium oxide polishing?
Is it risky?
Will windshield become literally "good as brand new" ?
Before you take it in and have it done I would check into several YouTube videos there's got to be a slew of them out there to give you more ideas.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts