Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So last week I posted a topic in the suspension forum about my 2 hour conversation with a Master Tech at my dealership. I spoke mostly about the steering rack but another part of the conversation was about the supercharger. What's interesting is he said there are rumors that the SC is going to be discontinued. Reason being is the trend going forward is the FlexFuel to meet government regulations. If 10% of trucks on the lot are not FF, that's not a big enough margin to warrant the production of the SC he said.

I think that should come with the standard issue grain of salt since it's from the rumor mill but thought I'd throw that out there.

I'll be seeing him again tomorrow, any other questions you guys want asked?

·
Registered
74 Posts
what do you mean by flex fuel dosent work? there are quite a few local guys running around in turbo 4cyl on e85 making 500-800hp as daily drivers.. it really shouldn't be that hard for Toyota to figure out.. Just figure out how big of a injector will be required for e85 and the blower, throw a pump in the kit and call it a day.. not shure what the big deal is, on my chevy I just traded in with efi live which was $150 for a vin unlock it could tell my the knock sensor if I was running 87 or 93 and switch from high to low octane maps on its own..

Flex fuel doesn't work. The supercharger does. Seems like an easy decision. :dunno:

·
Premium Member
1,371 Posts
what do you mean by flex fuel dosent work? there are quite a few local guys running around in turbo 4cyl on e85 making 500-800hp as daily drivers.. it really shouldn't be that hard for Toyota to figure out.. Just figure out how big of a injector will be required for e85 and the blower, throw a pump in the kit and call it a day.. not shure what the big deal is, on my chevy I just traded in with efi live which was $150 for a vin unlock it could tell my the knock sensor if I was running 87 or 93 and switch from high to low octane maps on its own..
It doesn't matter what consumers say. Toyota can make it possible to flash a FFV ECU for the blower, they just don't feel like going through all the trouble. The ECU's are slightly different and it might cost them a few dollars (probably less than $500) to hire somebody to convert the TRD flash from a non-FFV ECU to an FFV ECU. :dunno:

What I think is happening over in the Tundra department at Toyota HQ is that they set a goal to achieve. I'm guessing that goal is so low, they achieve it so easily that they didn't even bother to change a single thing in the truck's drivetrain/chassis in almost 8 years. Same thing why they didn't come out with a diesel or a 6.5' bed for a Crew Max.

I hope this is a bad rumor. I just bought a 2013 non FFV truck for the intention to get the supercharger.
Trust me, a supercharger kit for the 5.7L will be available years from now. You can still find a brand new blower for the 4.7L/3.4L engines on ebay from time to time.

·
Premium Member
3,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I hope so BRX. Mine is getting installed in about 8 hours so personally I'm not worried but I would truly hate to see SC support stop from Toy. A lot of people like myself will only do it because we can keep the original warranty and not having that would turn off a lot of people. I hope it was just the techs sitting around and speculating. Time will tell.

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Flex fuel doesn't work. The supercharger does. Seems like an easy decision. :dunno:
Have you even seen an FF up here? I don't think we have them in Canada....:confused: (on a Tundra)

Reactions: Mr. Creosote

·
Cereal Killer
20,307 Posts
Have you even seen an FF up here? I don't think we have them in Canada....:confused: (on a Tundra)
Whats up brother. I am not even sure how to tell the difference. I think they have a small plaque on the tailgate? In all honesty, not something I would pay attention to. :dunno:

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Whats up brother. I am not even sure how to tell the difference. I think they have a small plaque on the tailgate? In all honesty, not something I would pay attention to. :dunno:
I believe the only way to tell from a walk around would be the tailgate badge. I think mainly Chevy sells Flex's up here.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Here is a thought, "to increase sales of the supercharger, lets say we will discontinue it."

Either way, I have to go crank up the side work to get the extra cash to get the supercharger just in case.

I took me a few months to get the TRD wheels now this, smh. Btw, has anyone heard the rumor that the BBK was going to be discontinued?

·
Premium Member
3,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I hear ya atl. I waited until I got mine ordered, shipped and delivered before I posted that just in case there was a run on them and I had to wait for a re-stock.

·
Cereal Killer
20,307 Posts
If it turns out to be true, maybe they will let Magnuson distribute them. :dunno:

·
Premium Member
3,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'd think production would still continue for sure, just don't know if it'll be sold/warrantied by Toy under OE warranty.

·
Banned
1,853 Posts
I can't imagine they'd stop making them, or warrantying them...if they make, people will buy. Maybe they scale back, who knows. FFV is garbage.

Then again, I'm sure guys with sc'd trucks wouldn't mind if they stopped making/selling the sc, makes their trucks more desireable and increases value :D

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I could see them stop making them, take the TRD 22 wheels there are a lot of people who would spend the extra $$$ but Toyota wont sell them unless you already had them on the truck when it came off the assembly line from what I was told by most dealers

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I can remember when 16 was the standard size, 22 is right around the corner

·
Premium Member
538 Posts
Trust me, a supercharger kit for the 5.7L will be available years from now. You can still find a brand new blower for the 4.7L/3.4L engines on ebay from time to time.
I know that part, I just want them to come out with the tune for the late 2013s!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts