Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my brand new 2013 Tundra Crewmax SR5. Has a stock stereo and it comes with the usual 90 day free Sat Radio. I love the truck, but the stereo sucks. Playing the radio isn't too bad, but when I select any channels on Sat radio it's very quiet. 1/2 as quiet as the regular radio reception. My wife drives a new Honda and when we got it, the sat radio was much clearer and louder. Granted, she got the upgraded stereo on her's, but still.
Is this just how my new stereo is, or does it sound like something might be wrong?

·
Premium Member
10,869 Posts
Mine always did the same. That combined with XM playing the same damn songs over and over made be drop the service even when they offered it to me for less than $6 a month, just not worth it IMO and like you said, volume and quality sucked.

·
Registered
9,298 Posts
Just got my brand new 2013 Tundra Crewmax SR5. Has a stock stereo and it comes with the usual 90 day free Sat Radio. I love the truck, but the stereo sucks. Playing the radio isn't too bad, but when I select any channels on Sat radio it's very quiet. 1/2 as quiet as the regular radio reception. My wife drives a new Honda and when we got it, the sat radio was much clearer and louder. Granted, she got the upgraded stereo on her's, but still.
Is this just how my new stereo is, or does it sound like something might be wrong?
I've got the original "Sportster" which is external and never had an issue after turning up the volume on the unit, but I did get letter stating that I'm not allow to transmit FM since it exceeds the power levels allowed by the FCC and need to use a "line in"...F that!

Maybe the new ones have to provide less power which makes for a lower volume, but I can't see why it would be a problem if its built into the head unit. :scratchhead:

·
Premium Member
458 Posts
Cyb,

I just put in an aftermarket system with Satellite. My terrestrial volume and satellite volumes are exactly the same.

Since you got it brand new, I'd go back to the dealer and have the salesman take you to a few vehicles with Sat and see if they're the same.

Could be a factory trait, or you may have something wrong with your equipment. I wouldn't think an upgraded stereo would make a difference in the problem you are experiencing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts