Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Due to a recent run of unfortunate events (ac/furnace gave out, plumbing problem in kitchen that ruined my office below, fridge going out, and last weekend a break in) I had to sell my tundra tonight.
It cause my to reflect a little on that truck.
Bad: Paint seemed less durable than some, cant drive with the tail gate down
Good: More speed, power, and fun than any truck I have ever owned. Plus with the double cab you have a REAL back seat and still get a usable 6.5 foot bed without having a truck as long as a train.

The most telling thing however is this. I drove it off the lot brand new almost exactly 2 years ago in August of 2008. I paid a hair over $24,000 for it. 2 years and 32000 miles later I sold it for $24,500. That still seems unreal to me.
I will be driving a 2000 f150 for the next year, or probably 2 (family is growing and money has a way of getting tight), but I will join your ranks again soon.

·
"The Antagonizer"
12,046 Posts
Sorry to hear man. You can still stay on here we will all still be your friends. You don't have to leave because you got a Ford. We will all still be cool with you.

·
Premium Member
6,820 Posts
talk about resale ! nice deal!

good luck and take care

·
F&@k Y'all, I'm from Texas
13,742 Posts
Nice job on the sale. Hope things get better.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Sorry to hear about the situation your in. Most of us have been in your shoes at one point or another, hope you decide to stick around on Tundra Talk.

Yota's sure got good resale, they go up in value. haha. You made 500 bucks didn't think id ever see that happen with a car.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Good luck bro. and nice job on the resale.

·
"The General"
4,172 Posts
I thought this was going to be another "jeff" thread, but I'm sad to say your situation is worse than his will ever be.

Good luck in the future. If you plan for success, you'll get there. Don't be too pessimistic about money, it'll be there when you need it.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So, came home from work today and found out my wife lost her job today too.
It'll be alright though, she has been talking about going back to school anyway so instead of signing up for unemployment we just finished signing her up for classes at the community college. Despite the fact that I had to sell the truck I still cant complain. I can make my house payments, used some of the proceeds from the tundra to pay off the last of my non-mortgage debt with enough left to pay for the house repairs and the wife's tuition for the year, along with picking up a 2000 f150 with only 100,000 miles.
2 years and she will have a para-legal degree (and a better job than she had) and it will be easier to buy my next tundra than it was my last one.
Thanks for the good wishes guys.
Tough times arnt anything you cant get through as long as you are willing to make some sacrafice and work your butt off.

·
"The General"
4,172 Posts
So, came home from work today and found out my wife lost her job today too.
It'll be alright though, she has been talking about going back to school anyway so instead of signing up for unemployment we just finished signing her up for classes at the community college.
WHOA...When I was layed off a decade ago, I used unemployment to fund my education. In Georgia, and I bet everywhere else, you can get unemployment while you are improving your skills set through education. Instead of having to look for a job, you just submit some documentation from the college that reflects you're enrolled and actively participating.

NOTE: Luckily I only needed about 5 months to wrap up my education, so I was able to draw unemployment for the entire time until I graduated and re-entered the work force.

PS: Drawing unemployment isn't abusing the system...it's there because you pay for it through lower wages as a result of your company paying into the mandated unemployment insurance program setup by the government.

·
"The General"
4,172 Posts
BTW, getting laid off (layed off???) was the best thing that happened to me. It forced me to finish my education which has paid benefits dividends in my income.

The irony regarding the questionable spelling of laid off when discussing my education isn't lost on me :) Oh well...

·
"Resident Liberal"
12,231 Posts
Why can't you drive with the tailgate down?

I would have made my old lady get a second job. I have been told I am a heartless bastard.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
In Iowa you cant draw unemployment while enrolled as a full time student.
I wouldnt think of it as abusing the system as long as its not over used, we just had to choose between one or the other.
Like I said, all will be ok, sold the truck and the motorcycle but still have the house and no danger of not paying our bills. In a couple years when she is done we will come out better for it.

·
Premium Member
1,750 Posts
I sorry you had to sell your Tundra, but it sounds like your ducks are in just getting back into a row as time goes on. It's going this way with so many good people right now.

Best wishes for health and prosperity going forward. My job security changes from week to week right now so I feel your pain too, brotha.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts