Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts
Anyone use a wireless backup camera for a RV or trailer?
I'm trying to find one but reviews are all over the place for these things.
I have a 20 foot enclosed car trailer that I tow with my Tundra. The towing mirrors on my Tundra do a good job when I'm towing but you cannot see directly behind any trailer unless you have a camera.

The first camera system I purchased was advertised to work with a semi-truck and 57' trailer which turned out to be a BIG LIE and I returned it.

Then I purchased a Voyager WVOS713 Wireless System in 2014 from RV Cams.com.

RV Cams Voyager WVOS713 7" Auto-Pairing Wireless System

I got mine on sale for $540 back then. Now they are a lot more expensive (see link). You can find them cheaper on amazon.com but be warned that if you have a problem with it and you did not purchase it from an authorized seller you could face a challenge.

I have my camera mounted on the back of my trailer above the ramp door at the edge of the roof. It is set so I can see the back of my trailer and 10-15+' or so behind it. I have it connected to the deep cycle battery in my trailer that I use for my winch and trailer lights. I also have a wireless switch connected at the battery so I can turn the camera off and on from my Tundra so the camera is not running constantly. I use the suction cup mount to mount the monitor on my windshield. With this setup I usually get 3 or 4 bars of signal strength. Distance from camera to monitor is about 38-40' in length. The camera is a color camera and has pretty good night vision by itself. At night the picture appears black and white unless I use my trailer loading lights. Occasionally I will turn on the camera when I am driving but not very often as it can be distracting. Mainly at traffic lights when I'm bored and want to see what people behind me are doing. Be advised that I have noticed that when driving this system does not always provide fluid moving video. IE is can get choppy. For me that is not important since I use the system for backing up & parking not when I am driving. Other people may feel differently.

I have found this camera system to be especially helpful when I have had to parallel park my rig at some rest areas (especially in Virginia). Once on a long haul tow this system saved me a BIG headache when a woman walked behind my trailer at a gas station when I was backing up. Apparently she did not hear the dump truck back beeper I have on my trailer since she was too busy drinking her coffee and using her smartphone. Had I not seen her with this system I would have hit her.

Best of Luck with your search for a camera system.

Reactions: Dragos28

·
Premium Member
15,631 Posts
I dont have a large enough trailer to warrant a camera, but on my dad's Sprinter, and on my other box van sprinter i used Voyager cameras, hard wired. they are really high quality, commercial grade.

I'd look into something like this https://www.amazon.com/Rear-View-Safety-Display-RVS-770613/dp/B002GM5GKO/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1506429829&sr=8-13&keywords=voyager+camera
and find a way to make a plug for the camera at the trailer so you can disconnect it along with the trailer plug.

it has 3 inputs so you can have another camera in the trailer to monitor your contents or on the sides

or just do a single camera.

mine i just bought the camera and monitor separately but it ended up costing me more than that setup.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
https://www.etrailer.com/s.aspx?qry=wireless&furl=-pg-Backup_Cameras_and_Alarms

I don't have a backup camera of any type, but I do a good amount of work on trailers, and etrailer.com has been very good to me. Plus they have excellent customer service. I called them July 4th weekend (actually Monday the 3rd) and was pleasantly surprised to find out they were open. I needed to return parts asap and they sent me out a shipping label instantly. I have purchased my Tekonsa P3 from them, as well as multiple trailer brake sets and light sets, as well as a full spring and shackle setup. Always good quality stuff.

Reactions: Dragos28
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.