Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ouchy... Literally doing about 2MPH thank God.

Could've been a lot worse... mighta' been real ugly if it happened a couple of weeks ago when I was 500 miles from home doing 65MPH with a 5,500 lb. travel trailer behind me.

Dropped in the middle of a left turn in the middle of a VERY busy main drag going into La Jolla, had to drive it another 40' or so dragging that wheel to get out of the street while my brain was still trying to process WTF just happened. Sounded like a collision but I knew no one hit me.

The real sucky part is that it happened BEFORE surfing instead of after... if it had been a little futher where I wasn't in a red zone I probably would've just walked to the beach and dealt with it after a little saltwater therapy.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Oooooh man you are lucky you were only at 2 mph. Wow ,did you know about the recall on the lower ball joints? Just do some reviewing before choosing the dealership to bring it to. The one I brought my tundra to told me my rack and pinion is about to break. Told me to "be careful," I the most dramatic tone. They saw some gunk on there insisted my power steering fluid was leaking. They were ready to schedule an appointment to repair it. Without cleaning the gunk to verify the fluid was in fact leaking, the "knowledgeable experienced technicians" made this diagnosis. I knew that the upper ball joints and tie rods& boot were worn but brought it in for the recall on lower ball joints. Since that was done at no charge,they were trying to make me pay somehow. ,$ 2100. The r & p only costs about 5 hundred. I had someone else change upper ball joints,tie rods and boots. And then the truth was revealed regarding rack & pinion...
Absolutely nothing wrong with it. BEWARE OF THE PIRATES! It is my understanding that R&P would have to have been involved in a collision to break. Those jerks had me stressed out over my safety and the worry of how I was going to manage that repair cost. Always get a second opinion on these things. Another thing,I haven't even added power steering fluid to my truck,so it could not have been leaking.
But check your vin for recalls, especially that ball joint. Im glad you didn't experience anything worse than what you did.
Stay safe

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oooooh man you are lucky you were only at 2 mph. Wow ,did you know about the recall on the lower ball joints? Just do some reviewing before choosing the dealership to bring it to. The one I brought my tundra to told me my rack and pinion is about to break. Told me to "be careful," I the most dramatic tone. They saw some gunk on there insisted my power steering fluid was leaking. They were ready to schedule an appointment to repair it. Without cleaning the gunk to verify the fluid was in fact leaking, the "knowledgeable experienced technicians" made this diagnosis. I knew that the upper ball joints and tie rods& boot were worn but brought it in for the recall on lower ball joints. Since that was done at no charge,they were trying to make me pay somehow. ,$ 2100. The r & p only costs about 5 hundred. I had someone else change upper ball joints,tie rods and boots. And then the truth was revealed regarding rack & pinion...
Absolutely nothing wrong with it. BEWARE OF THE PIRATES! It is my understanding that R&P would have to have been involved in a collision to break. Those jerks had me stressed out over my safety and the worry of how I was going to manage that repair cost. Always get a second opinion on these things. Another thing,I haven't even added power steering fluid to my truck,so it could not have been leaking.
But check your vin for recalls, especially that ball joint. Im glad you didn't experience anything worse than what you did.
Stay safe
I learned about the recall because of this incident actually. Mine's a 2000, and according to Toyota :unsure::sneaky: my truck isn't affected by this issue. "Ummm, it sure seemed pretty darn affected yesterday!" :oops::ROFLMAO:
Yeah, I've been taking my stuff to this shop for quite some time now, and I trust him. It's actually kinda surprising how many times I've asked about needing stuff "As long as it's up in the air, should we do [blank]?" and he's like "Well, I'll do it if you want to, but I don't think you need to."

·
Registered
9 Posts
Heads up though just do reviews on the dealerships you might bring it to because some dealership technicians are pirates, if they give you a list of other things that's wrong with it get a second opinion for your own sake. That's exactly what I kept thinking was going to happen to me and I drive fast and that girl in the service department at Toyota said be careful in the most dramatic tone that I was scared the whole time driving home but when I had someone else that I do rely on and I trust to change the rest of the steering components there was nothing wrong with my rack and pinion nothing at all they didn't even take the time to wipe the gunk off to even see if the power steering fluid was actually leaking or even how bad if it was so you know they were going to try and rape me for whatever they could as far as repairs go that I did not even need. I reported that misdiagnosis to the FTC and the nhtsa. That is definitely a catastrophe but just think if you were traveling at a higher speed with that trailer behind you that would have been so much more catastrophic for not only you but potentially others.
You're lucky.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Or even contact Toyota corporate office submit those photos, sure looks like faulty BJ to me. Good luck to you man.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ouchy... Literally doing about 2MPH thank God.

Could've been a lot worse... mighta' been real ugly if it happened a couple of weeks ago when I was 500 miles from home doing 65MPH with a 5,500 lb. travel trailer behind me.

Dropped in the middle of a left turn in the middle of a VERY busy main drag going into La Jolla, had to drive it another 40' or so dragging that wheel to get out of the street while my brain was still trying to process WTF just happened. Sounded like a collision but I knew no one hit me.

The real sucky part is that it happened BEFORE surfing instead of after... if it had been a little futher where I wasn't in a red zone I probably would've just walked to the beach and dealt with it after a little saltwater therapy.

View attachment 885621

View attachment 885622

View attachment 885623

View attachment 885624

View attachment 885625

View attachment 885626

How many miles on this truck???

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So I just noticed today that it pushed the fender back a smidge... gap between drivers door and fender is a little narrower at the bottom and the door is juuuuusst barely hitting the fender if I open it all the way.
Is this an easy adjustment?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Did you ever notice the steering wheel not wanting to return to center after a turn on it's own?
In hindsight, yeah I do recall that in certain situations... like close to full lock at slow, (parking lot) speeds.

That was the clue I missed huh?

·
Registered
4 Posts
In hindsight, yeah I do recall that in certain situations... like close to full lock at slow, (parking lot) speeds.

That was the clue I missed huh?
Yes I believe so, I have a 2004 DC that was included in the ball joint recall years ago and remember discussions about the steering not wanting to return to center.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts