Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

Rubber dash pad issue

3K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Kirth@Gersen1 
#1 ·
Hey folks, New member. Anyway, I'm running into an issue. Beginning of August, brought my tundra in to have a quick detailing done inside right before my buddies wedding. The trained monkeys who did it, I swear they stood back with a garden hose charged with Armoral and went to town. Needless to say, anything rubber, is just straight up gross, and slick. Including the rubber pad on the top/center of the dash... where I keep my sunglasses that won't fit in the glasses compartment. Since then, every time I corner, my $150 sunglasses end up in the sand on the floormats because they will not stay put anymore. I've tried multiple things, including SUBMERGING the pad in Isopropyl Alcohol to get rid of the stupid Armoral. I've also tried paint thinner, and engine degreaser, both to no avail. Does anyone have a suggestion as to what I can use to get the rubber back to the way it was, just "sticky enough" to keep my sunglasses from sliding all over the place? LOL.

Thanks in advance!:)

#2 ·
#3 ·
Step 1
Fill a bucket with 2 quarts warm water, 1/2 cup white vinegar and 1 tsp. dish soap.

Step 2
Dip a cleaning rag into the bucket, wring out the rag well and wipe across the plastic car surfaces.

Step 3
Continue as needed, dipping the rag back into the cleaner as needed to rinse off Armor All residue.

Step 4
Let the plastic air dry and examine to make sure all residue is removed. If you notice any leftover Armor All residue repeat the cleaning application.

#4 ·
Armorall is a gross, greasy mess.
In future , consider using 3M "9040 Leather and Vinyl Restorer" .
Despite teh word "Restorer" in its name, it's a good general purpose protectant that doesnt leave a greasy shiney film. Works best when any excess is buffed off w/ microfiber cloth.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.