Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all -- newbie Tundra owner here. Had the truck 2017 CM 4X4 brand new for just over a month, 2k on it. Love the power it offers.

Recently I started to notice a growling/rumbling sound when the engine is at 1300-1400 rpm, does not matter what speed I am at. In neutral it does not make this sound; nor does it make it when rpm is higher or lower.

Just wondering if this is my ear being too sensitive or is this characteristic of the 5.7 V8? Anybody notice the same? Is it just "harmonic resonance" or something I need to have the dealer look at?

I wouldn't call it noise since it was not unbearable. I do have sensitive ears I think -- the wife couldn't tell any difference. :)

Thanks!!

·
Registered
85 Posts
It's probably the shrunken '14-up muffler. In stock form everything from 1200-2000 rpm can seem quite loud, most especially around 1800 rpm under load. On my truck it was bad enough I loathed to drive it between 55-65 mph because it was exactly the right type of sound to set off a bad headache.

Harmonic resonance is exactly what it is. I put on a dirtydeeds resonator on the tail section which tamed most of it but a '10-'13 muffler would do the trick as well.

My last trip across state before putting it on I was trying to stave off a migraine. I stuck to the interstates so I could keep it at 70 mph just to make it bearable. It wasn't fun.

Reactions: Mr. Creosote
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.