Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Tundra has developed a squeak and I'm pretty sure it is the idler pulley. I tried to change it out today but the darn bolt head rounded off on me:mad:. I know the tensioner pulley bolt is left hand threads but I could not find anything that says if the idler pulley bolt is also left handed. I treated it like a normal bolt and I was unable to losen it up. The bolt head actually rounded off on me. What can I do now? I hope the damn thing isn't a left hand thread. How can I get that rounded bolt out to change the idler pulley? Any help or suggestions are appreciated. Thank you.

Attachments

·
Registered
352 Posts
One, verify the thread direction. Two, bolt-out kit at your local auto parts store. Hammer on the bit or socket (depending on which you get) and then hook up your breaker bar.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Reactions: Mr. Creosote

·
Registered
13,893 Posts

sold by any quality company from sears to snap-on

G

·
"The pulley bolt for the belt tensioner has a left-hand thread."

[edit]
Nevermind, that is not the belt tensioner.

The shop manual does not show instructions nor torque for removing the idler pulley on the top right side.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My picture is the idler pulley on the top of the engine. The tensioner pulley is on the bottom left. I used a 14mm socket but it still rounded the head off. Going to try large vice grips tomorrow and then a trip to auto parts store to get those special sockets if the vice grips don't work. I'm going to need a new bolt also. Wonder if I can find a replacement at home depot?

·
Registered
408 Posts
oooh, that sucks, I hope you can get it with a bolt out or vise grips. Ive heard of people tacking another bolt to the rounded bolt as a last resort. the next step after getting that nut off (hehe) is to throw away any thinwalled (12 point) sockets. they suck and are only necessary in really tight spaces, 6 points sockets will rarely round off bolts.

·
Banned
5,396 Posts
My picture is the idler pulley on the top of the engine. The tensioner pulley is on the bottom left. I used a 14mm socket but it still rounded the head off. Going to try large vice grips tomorrow and then a trip to auto parts store to get those special sockets if the vice grips don't work. I'm going to need a new bolt also. Wonder if I can find a replacement at home depot?
Ys u can find a replacement at home depot

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I got that dirty SOB off with vice grips. Took several tires but the teeth finally dug in and broke it loose. 6pt sockets from now on. I have both but did not think to check which one I was using. Thanks for the help. No more squeak after new idler pulley installed.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I got that dirty SOB off with vice grips. Took several tires but the teeth finally dug in and broke it loose. 6pt sockets from now on. I have both but did not think to check which one I was using. Thanks for the help. No more squeak after new idler pulley installed.
Good job. Since there was some question about it, did the bolt indeed turn out to be a standard RH thread (righty-tighty, lefty-loosey)?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yes standard threads. I went to local Toyota Dealer who happen to have a horrible reputation around here. I asked about ordering a replacement bolt because mine is all f'ed up now. The service manager couldn't find it in their computer. I politely asked him what the hell I was supposed to do it the "Toyota Dealer" couldn't even get me a replacement bolt. He eventually told me he might be able to get one but it would take a week. I put the old one back in and gently tightened it with the vice grips. If the bolt does not come in next week, I will remove it again and try to find a match at home depot.

G

·
ToyoDIY.com

16371 PULLEY, FAN
16371‑38010 1URFE, 3UR*..UPK5*, USK5* 1 $56.38
16603 PULLEY SUB-ASSY, IDLER, NO.1
16603‑38010 1URFE, 3UR*..UPK5*, USK5* 1 $95.96
16620 TENSIONER ASSY, V-RIBBED BELT
16620‑0S010 1URFE, 3UR*..UPK5*, USK5* 1 $99.59
90105‑A0125 *** STD. PART $1.27
90110‑08036 *** STD. PART $1.34
90119‑A0165 *** STD. PART $0.99
90178‑A0024 *** STD. PART $0.99
91551‑80825 *** STD. PART $1.07
91551‑F0855 *** STD. PART $1.38
91551‑F0870 *** STD. PART $1.23
91552‑81050 *** STD. PART $1.50
91552‑F1080 *** STD. PART $2.21
91671‑80814 *** STD. PART $0.99
94151‑80800 *** STD. PART $0.99

The bolt is probably one of those in blue.

·
Registered
352 Posts
If you measure the bolt thread pitch, length and diameter you can go on Fastenal.com and have one next-day'd to you worst case. I've done that for my motorcycle several times :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts