Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to be installing a new Pioneer AVH-X5500 this week in my 07 and since I havent done this before I have a quick question. I know the new head unit is rated at 50wx4 and my Tundra has 6 speakers in it. Can I unhook the two dash speakers so the remaining four speakers will get 50 watts each?. I have the mounting kit and harness adapter ready to go. After 16.5yrs doing HVAC commercial service work I hope that this should go pretty seamless. I will be pissed if I can rewire a one million dollar chiller and not be able to figure out this. I am not installing new speakers yet, doing all my other mods after my June golf trip is over.

· Registered
605 Posts
Yes, you can unhook the dash speakers. Actually, it's probably a good idea in general to avoid harming the radio due to the ohm load dropping too low for the radio to handle.

FYI, the 50x4 is a max power rating (meaning you'll never in a million years see 50 watts out of the receiver). RMS rating (true continuous power) is generally in the 15-25 watt range for aftermarket radios so you should always base your future speaker/amplifier purchases on that.

· Registered
76 Posts
You can unhook them, but there is no need. Your fine leaving them all hooked up. The 6x9s in the door naturally roll off and will not play the higher frequencies. So you will be missing alot if you run just the 4 door speakers. I'd leave the dash speakers playing.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.