Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at getting a roof top tent but don't have a cap and would like to get soemthing that sit low on the bed not one that's high. Also is there anything made so I can still have my bed covered with the rack on? Been looking around but can't seem to find anything to fit my needs. Juts wonder if anyone know of any vendors who specialize in this.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
15,631 Posts
if you know how to weld you can build your own, or just go to any metal shop and have them build you a rack just like you want.

check out @papasmurf 's build thread his rack (which i now own) worked with a bed cover, although it is a skyscraper so it does not sit low.

personally, i dont think you'll need the bed cover if you build it low enough

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ya welding isn't a issues and have two machines just don't have the time or the space right now to build something like that ill def have to check around a few different places tho thanks for the start

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Ya welding isn't a issues and have two machines just don't have the time or the space right now to build something like that ill def have to check around a few different places tho thanks for the start
Front runner outfitters makes a low profile bed mount. Think its $240. Not super heavy duty, but will accommodate a tent and keep it low.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I only saw ones that fit on the cargo tracks. Do they make one that will fit to the stake pockets? I want it to work with my bakflip revolver x2
The Front runner one goes in the top of the bed. That's why it wasn't Ideal for me. New welder will be here this week, Making one out of aluminum that goes in the stake pockets.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ya if it comes down to it I'll juts make my own rack won't be hard to fab up juts need to find time. Cause I really want to have the bed covered to have storage that won't get wet

·
Registered
21 Posts
Look on YouTube, there is a YouTube blogger called 410 overland from Canada, and he has a video on mounting a new Yakima roof top tent, on the bed of a 2016 tundra, on Yakima bars that for the bed Rails
It is a pretty good video.
Think I might do that to mine.
I leaves room for bed cover.

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
Looking at getting a roof top tent but don't have a cap and would like to get something that sit low on the bed not one that's high. Also is there anything made so I can still have my bed covered with the rack on? Been looking around but can't seem to find anything to fit my needs. Juts wonder if anyone know of any vendors who specialize in this.

Thanks
no special products needed really, just use off the shelf roof rack parts.
I ran roof track down the bed rails, slid in feet, and the cross bars. system allows full use of tonneau cover open or closed, removes in seconds when not in use. Best of all its at chest height so everything is very manageable.

here is the same system I installed on my tacoma previously, the tundra required wider cross bars of course.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.