Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don’t see many tundras with roof racks, but I think getting one will be my best option for hauling the kayaks while towing the fifth wheel.

The only option I’ve really found is the tack mount rhino rack.

#JA8121 - Vortex RLT600 Trackmount Black 2 Bar Roof Rack | Rhino-Rack

I like that the bars can be removed because I don’t need them but for maybe one trip a month. But has anyone used them with any success? I saw Geekrig had them but that’s all I could find.

Prinsu has a sweet basket but I’m not sure if I could mount the kayaks to it.

I’m just tired of cramming them in the camper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
48 Posts
Both Yakima and Thule make roof racks for the Tundra. The Yakima one if found under the car heading but you can select the Tundra.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
let me know if you need welding tips, i can guide you on how to build one

:lol5:

why arent you looking into making your own?

Because I’m lazy and don’t have much free time to build stuff for myself unfortunately.

I really want a removable option like the rhino rack and that latching mechanism would be time consuming.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Both Yakima and Thule make roof racks for the Tundra. The Yakima one if found under the car heading but you can select the Tundra.

I thought all they had was going he style that clipped into the door jamb or drilled to mount the feet. I’ll look again. Thanks.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I mounted a Thule bar onto the roof of my camper shell and a second bar attaches to the cab. This provides the distance I want between the rails to support 13 foot long kayaks. For a single kayak the Thule Hullivator works very well to help hoist a kayak to the top of the truck.

There is a company that makes a rack that attaches to the rear of a 5th wheel or other RV and holds two kayaks and two bicycles. You can leave the rack attached to the RV.

https://www.rvkayakracks.com/
https://www.glrv.com/parts-accessories/vertiyak-kayak-rack/

Other companies make ones that pivot for access to a rear compartment but they are considerably more expensive.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have the Yakima set. I can haul 2 kayaks side by side while towing my camper. They com off easily when not in use with the turn of 2 screws on each tower.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts