Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I finally test drove a Crewmax RW and an SR5. Me personally, I did not notice a big difference in how they drove/ride/feel. As far as room inside, it felt as big if not a bit bigger than my f150 supercrew. Only drawback that will take time getting used to is the 5.5' box. I have a 6.5' box on the current truck. I really liked the low end torque on the RW. I didn't buy it as I am working off 2 dealers and am going to talk to the 2nd one tomorrow.

Anyway, for those that have families that they haul in their RW, how is it holding up? I'm referring to the ride. Did the OEM tires/rims get tough to take after a while and you ended up switching them out? If so, what did you get? And if anyone regrets getting a RW, why?

I know these a minute detail questions, but whenever I get close to pulling the trigger, I start to worry about little things that are probably inconsequentlal, but I feel better if I try to look under every rock.

Thanks.

·
Registered
164 Posts
New CM Owner

I just got a CM RW to haul players on my HS basketball team (and their equipment) to tournaments. 3 sit very comfortably in the back....even sweaty after games. The decision to go for the RW should be based, in part, on whether you like Toyota's mods or you want to do your own. I had an F150 Supercrew Lariat for 8 years. It was smooth and refined (almost rode like an SUV). The Tundra has much more muscle, looks better (than the FX4 I considered) and feels more like a truck. If the 5-6 bed is an issue, get a bed extender. Be prepared to get Xmas cards from local gas stations since you'll be spending some time there.

·
Premium Member
1,933 Posts
I don't have a rock warrior but I do have a TRD. So, same stink, different smell.

I have a three month old and a four year old and they love being in my truck. The only thing I will bring up is bed bounce. Not sure if you have those silly freeways there, but we do here in Vegas in spots. It's bouncy at times.

I find it's a great truck for a family hauler. More than plenty of room, no seat kicking, and the A/C does a good job.

I do have 34 inch A/T tires and a 2.5 lift. It's firmer than stock so I would say on par with the RW.

Good Luck

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey Bryan, I have had my 2012 RW Crewmax for about a year now and I use it as the family hauler. I really like to take road trips quite often. We've taken it to Galveston from Fort Worth quite a few times, a 13hr trip to Illinois, and trips to Oklahoma. Next week will be driving 15hrs to Colorado and Michigan for camping in September. When I had bought the truck the BFG's were always a concern because I was worried about road noise. I can happily tell you the highway road noise from the BFG's is minimal and when it comes replacement time I will be getting BFG's again and not normal street tires like I thought I would want to. Also my BFG's show very little wear after 15k and I am a pretty aggressive driver.

Aside from the tires, the truck is very comfortable and spacious which is perfect for long trip. People constantly complement the RW for how comfortable it is compared to other trucks. The reclining rear seat are really great for long trips. We do have a 6 year old and I have not been impressed with how easily the interior gets scratched up... The best thing is when you open the windows, rear glass, and sunroof and just cruise.

·
Banned
1,853 Posts
My TRD Crewmax came with the same suspension as the RW, just different wheels and tires. Can't remember what the RW's come with, but mine came with 275/65/18 BF Rugged Trails....rode smooth as hell. I'm running AT tires now, and its fine.

You are justified to inquire about the ride quality of the RW 17" wheels and 33" tires....because afterall, you are paying extra for that stuff. I honestly don't think you'll find anyone who will admit that they regret buying the RW, because of wheels and tires...I mean, there's guys out there who want to buy RW wheels from other guys.

Depending on cost difference of the 2 trucks, I think an sr5 will do the trick. It can be modded to be a RW for relatively cheap.Otherwise, if you buy a RW and aren't happy with the wheels/tires, no problem, guys will line up to buy your wheels and tires from you.

As far as family hauling, my kiddos are 4 and 6. Plenty of room back there with the crewmax. They love it, and so do mommy and daddy. Right now, there's just a booster seat for the 4 year old. The 6 year old is a grown damn man, and doesn't need a booster. When they were younger, there was a backwards facing child seat, and a front facing child seat. On road trips, mommy could sit in the middle and feed and entertain them, and climb back up front when they fell asleep. Plenty of room to move around. Its a damn limo for sure :yesnod:

Bed space never is or was an issue for me. I have a bed extender, which is primarily used to keep groceries in place after Sam's club or grocery store runs. On a few occasions I have let the tailgate down and used the extender to contain the cargo, but that is rare. I have access to trailers if necessary, so bed space isn't a priority for me, but cab space is. Even with a family loaded cab, there is plenty of room on the floors to accommodate a big grocery store run....but because I have a bed cover, my bed is my "trunk". It works well. :D

Good luck!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies. Definitely some great info.

I currently have an Extang Solid Fold on my truck. It won't fit the RW and I love it. Does anyone know of anyplace with good deals? It seems everyone is charging $799 online.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Reactions: Ogtoyfan

·
Registered
164 Posts
New CM Owner

The MPG on all trucks s-ck. The only one that claims to be decent is the F150 3.5V6 Ecoboost turbo which has some kick but may cause (or is causing) Ford to be a class action defendant. I was actually choosing between the Raptor and the Rock Warrior. Rational minds prevailed since there was a $25K price difference.

·
Registered
13,893 Posts
I have used mine to camp, it is great. I leave all the things that I do not want wet (tent camp, state forest) and also all the things that I do not want animals to smell, food, snacks and what not inside. It makes a good fort to go to when weather is bad too...

No real issues so far, yes, interior scratches, but any interior will scratch. Kids can trash any interior, seats, floors, doors... Best to get good mats and try to keep everything clean back there before it is too far gone.

·
Spooge Guzzler
6,318 Posts
As far as room inside, it felt as big if not a bit bigger than my f150 supercrew. Only drawback that will take time getting used to is the 5.5' box. I have a 6.5' box on the current truck.
I'm gonna go ahead and say that the crewmax cab is quite bit bigger than the supercrew. That's why they can fit a longer bed on the supercrew. My guess is that they have a similar overall length and wheel base.
Only way to really compare is to park them right next to eachother and make comparisons.
I've had a crewmax for 2 years now, with 3 teenagers. With the work I do and with 3 kids, there's not another vehicle that I would rather have. It's awesome for long trips too.
The shorter bed isn't much of a handicap. Especially if you have a tonneau cover and the rear widow down. I've had 10' and 12' lumber strapped on the tonneau and slid into the open rear window. Works great. And if you drop the tailgate, 8' stuff like drywall, plywood, whatever, comes right to the end of the tailgate.
As far as rock warrior or sr5, the only appreciable difference is appearance.
So, get the one you think looks better.

·
Premium Member
2,185 Posts
If you go crewmax get sr5 and pick your own tires rims and suspention for cheaper but if u Get a double cab the trd actually gives you a decent upgrade from the lower package. Not sure if the packages are different in Canada but the Canada crewmax trd has only about 5 more options than the trd. No RW in Canada:(

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If you go crewmax get sr5 and pick your own tires rims and suspention for cheaper but if u Get a double cab the trd actually gives you a decent upgrade from the lower package. Not sure if the packages are different in Canada but the Canada crewmax trd has only about 5 more options than the trd. No RW in Canada:(

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
One of the reasons I was drawn to the RW in the first place is the look (rims/tires) because after spending 40 grand on a vehicle, I am hard pressed to spend another 2-3 grand on different rims/tires.

·
Spooge Guzzler
6,318 Posts
Every double cab and crewmax are the same truck, regardless of body or trim.
Same frame, frame size, suspension, drivetrain, brakes, etc.
"TRD" and "rock warrior" are not different suspensions. Just blue shock absorbers that make the ride slightly stiffer. So, if you get the rock warrior and think the ride is a bit stiff at times, it's easy enough to change out 4 shocks and then you have the exact same suspension as a base model, sr5, whatever. They're all the same.
The rock warrior trim is a black cloth interior, color matched front end, no badges and I think it has a few of the little things like steering wheel controls, etc.
I really like the rock warrior, I think it's the best looking tundra. The color matched front end changes the whole look and the black cloth looks way better than gray, IMO and i really wanted one. But, they don't make them with the front bench seat. They only build them with the buckets and console shifter. Plus, they were charging a lot more for them. So I got a base model.
So regardless of what anyone says, whether it's a double cab, crewmax, platinum, TRD, base model, whatever, they are all the same truck.
The only differences are the bells and whistles in the cab and the paint job. As long as it has the creature features you like and you like the way it looks, that's what you pay for.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Something I forgot to check yesterday was the radio. It actually wasn't hooked up yet. How does your phone or mp3 player connect? Is it just by Bluetooth or is there a usb port?

·
Registered
733 Posts
I don't have a RW but can attest to the difference in ride quality between a RW CM and a SR5 DC. I have a 2011 SR5 DC, good friend and member here (jseasor) has a RW CM and I will say that his does ride slightly better than mine. IMO that is due to a little added weight and bigger cab. Either way, it's a small difference but worth nothing. When I bought my 2011 I didn't need the extra space of the CM, on my next one I will be getting a CM however.

As far as a long term family hauler I will say that mine has been great. I had one small issue but other than that nothing and I'm at 67k miles. Hell, I just FINALLY had to replace my factory brake pads this week and I tow A LOT lol. That's outstanding if you ask me. Nothing else has been replaced on the truck.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Mine rides like a dream...but it is just a stock CM, We love it for a family hauler!!

·
Registered
753 Posts
I know these a minute detail questions, but whenever I get close to pulling the trigger, I start to worry about little things that are probably inconsequentlal, but I feel better if I try to look under every rock.
Good Questions considering the cost of a new vehicle.

Just wondering....

Did you take the RW for a drive over a number of different road surfaces at different speeds? Some car salespeople use test drive routes that compliment the rides for the vehicle's they sell and avoid routes that might bring up ride issues/concerns. This is why when I take test drives I pick the roads & speeds so I see the good, the bad and the ugly when it comes to ride feel.

Also, did you take the wife or GF along on the test drive? What did she think of the ride? If you didn't you probably should. Last thing you need is a wife/gf *itching up a storm about the ride quality after you buy the RW. Yes, I realize this is YOUR truck but if it is going to be a "Family Hauler", the other half's input should be considered if you want to keep the peace.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I did not drive long as I was short on time. Wife was not with me as she detests car buying. She likes the way the f150 rides. But that feels like a car.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts