Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I read the post from Chadawes about his upcoming PCH road trip which sounds awesome, enjoy the trip. Thought I would copy him, although my post is a bit different as I am hoping to get some suggestions/advice on my proposed travel route to my destination Houston for a family reunion. I leave tomorrow night and I've done this drive once before where I take interstate 40 through AZ, NM, then on to Amarillo, TX and then the 287 down towards Dallas, to the 45 on to Houston.

This time I was hoping to take a different route once I reach Amarillo to see other parts of Texas on the drive to Houston. I'd like to try a route from Amarrillo down to San Antonio. From San Antonia I'd catch the (10) to Houston. I see interstate (27) from Amarillo which takes me in to Lubbock but from there I have no idea which highway is best. So I thought I would reach out to the Texas forum members or anyone else who's traveled through Texas and ask which highway would you recommend? Ideally one with plenty of gas stations:) and some great sites. We'll do the family reunion in Houston, and then onto Galveston, then to New Orleans.

On the trip back home we'll stop at white sands, carlsbad caverns and spend a couple days in the Grand Canyon.

Thanks for any suggested routes

·
Registered
507 Posts
It's just texas nothing spectacular to look at, the problem with 287 is all the small towns you have to through at 35mph.

Reactions: Wacked

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Red rum, I remember a small town through 287 during my last trip where I got a speeding ticket for doing 30 in a 25. Tough town, LOL!

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
I've done Santa Monica and back to DFW a few times. Like Red says, watch out for those small towns. Tickets are a vital source of revenue for small rural Texas towns. Some could not balance the books without it.
After the City of Macks Creek ticketed a State legislator and p!ssed him off that the city was funding itself almost entirely from speeding tickets, The Macks Creek Law was passed and capped ticket revenue to 35% of total City revenue (the State gets the rest), but they still need to hit their 35%.

I was once stopped 3 times in less than 30 mins, by cops from different cities. First time doing 80 in a 70, so I slowed it down; was then stopped doing 75 in an 80; really slowed it down and thought I was doing the 70 MPH limit, when I was stopped for doing 72MPH in a 70MPH. I got off with all of them when I showed the only license I had, an English one.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
that North Central part of Texas is kinda boring...

Agree with them about 287, just watch the speed limit signs, we take this up to Colorado/Montana from Dallas.

·
Registered
877 Posts
If you haven't already, I would throw a 5 gal gas can, and ice chest full of food and drink, and some toilet paper in the truck.

I have done both drives you described and the 40 is nicer once you get out of Texas.

The 84 from Lubbock to the 20 sucks.

If I was driving, I would take the 20 to the 45 and call it a day. Plenty of places to stop and freeway the entire way. Two lane roads are no fun when you are on a long trip trying to do 700 miles a day. The random speed limit changes and local police will keep you on your toes. I like to set the cruise and let the miles clip off.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Haha yea those cops are rough in those towns I have had tons of family members/friends get pulled over in them, I used to take 287 to Colorado but now go through Kansas and cut over on 70

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks John Galt. I'm packed and ready with all you mention and then some.

I will check out the 20 to the 45 on the map. I definitely want to continue being on an open interstate/freeway once I get past Amarillo to head to Houston. I was hoping for a different route other than the 287 this time around because it does make the trip much longer having to go through all the small towns via 287. Appreciate the suggestion. Thanks.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Drive safe and enjoy your trip. If you take the 20 there is a Rudy's BBQ in Arlington and a Buccees in Madisonville.

I applaud your decision to drive.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Why not just take I-10 all the way across.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I've taken the (10) before to Tuscon and in comparison to the (40), I'll take the (40) anytime going to TX. I heard the 10 after Tuscon into El Paso then to Houston is crazy and boring, but I guess I won't know until I drive it. Maybe next road trip, LOL

Thanks John I enjoy driving and we have 3 weeks off so we thought why not do a road trip.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Just because I don't like be stopped and asked for my papers doesn't mean I have something to hide....

Nothing more irritating than being questioned by a Hispanic boarder patrol agent about my being a citizen and reason for traveling close to the boarder.

·
Premium Member
586 Posts
1st, don't ever drive I-10 from El Paso to Houston. You can see for 100 miles, literally. There is nothing between El Paso and Junction basically. I mean nothing. Other than a big ass border patrol station that causes a traffic jam in the middle of nowhere.

If you're still headed to Amarillo, take a detour SE of Amarillo to the Palo Duro Canyon. It's not the Grand Canyon, but it's still pretty cool. Then head back to where you can pick up 287. What I would do if you are looking to see a different part of Texas is still take 287 down, but once you get to Wichita Falls take 281 South all the way down to Marble Falls, which will put you through part of the hill country which is really a beautiful drive. Then pick up 71 and head through Austin. If you have time, stop and check out Austin, it's pretty much the coolest city in the country, I shit you not. If you have time, go hit up the Salt Lick BBQ in Driftwood, just south of Austin about 15 miles south of the 71/290 & Mopac intersection, then take 290 out of Austin into Houston.

Between Amarillo, Lubbock, Midland/Odessa, etc (West Texas) there really isn't much except farmland and oil wells. It's a pretty boring drive.

San Antonio got hit hard last night by rain (9 inches at the airport this morning alone :eek:) and a good part of the NW side is flooded. I wouldn't head all the way down there until maybe on the way back.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
mts thanks for the suggestions and the info on San Antonia. I've been checking out the weather on line for TX and didn't catch the info on the storm. Good to know.

I'm supposed to be on road right now but was delayed with a problem with the house which kept me working all day so now I am too tired to hit the road tonight. Problem is fixed and I will be heading out early Sunday and looking forward to getting on the road.

Thanks again.
Marc

·
Premium Member
586 Posts
No prob man, enjoy the drive.

·
Premium Member
586 Posts
How was the road trip?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts