Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the best option for front end protection for animals?

Would the ARB bumper do it? Other suggestions?

I want to be able to hit a deer, load in the back and take it home for dinner without scratching my truck... :eek: ;)

Ok, not really, but I would like to be able to continue on my journey in the event of an animal collision. I'm thinking the stock truck would likely take a lot of damage to the front end.

Reactions: dikkie

·
Registered
8,147 Posts
ARB makes some good bumpers (but expensive). I like their Sahara bar. Ranchhand makes some good bumpers that are reasonably priced. Iron Cross and Boondock are also reasonably priced. These bumpers are very heavy. If you are serious of getting one of these bada$$ bumpers, you may want to upgrade your suspension to OME (613).

The best protection is to avoid those deers. Some deers will jump and go through the windshield. There was a fatality recently where I live from such an accident.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The best protection is to avoid those deers. Some deers will jump and go through the windshield. There was a fatality recently where I live from such an accident.
That's brutal!

Yes, avoidance is definately best, but can be tricky at night or dusk on the low traffic roads...

·
Registered
583 Posts
More lights... and more lights.

You hit a deer, you're gonna have damage no matter what to your front end. If you want a new front bumper, find the best deal/looking one for your tastes.

I'm also always on the lookout for glowing eyes- so extra lights for me are nice. If they're glowing green... speed up- you may have a mount! (j/k)

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
Just don't hit a moose...their log legs mean they come right through the windsheild! Can you imagine 2000 pounds in your lap!

·
Registered
92 Posts
More lights... and more lights.

You hit a deer, you're gonna have damage no matter what to your front end. I (j/k)
Lights, true. Damage not so much, I've hit a deer dead center with the ARB at around 40, horrible, horrible feeling. The deer hit the bumper hard, then the truck went all the way over him. He must have weighed a good 180 lbs so wasn't a small one. Bugger literally jumped from the side of the road right in front of me.

But no damage other than burnt hair on the exhaust as I didn't have quite enough clearance for him to side under.

·
"Resident Liberal"
12,237 Posts
8 in the magazine and one in the pipe.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Lights, true. Damage not so much, I've hit a deer dead center with the ARB at around 40, horrible, horrible feeling. The deer hit the bumper hard, then the truck went all the way over him. He must have weighed a good 180 lbs so wasn't a small one. Bugger literally jumped from the side of the road right in front of me.

But no damage other than burnt hair on the exhaust as I didn't have quite enough clearance for him to side under.
I was wondering how the ARB bumper would hold up, thanks!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
92 Posts
I should mention I have reinforced the front part of the frame around the bumper crumple zones to prevent the winch from stretching these areas through use.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts