Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I have a 2004 Tundra with the v6 engine, with the manual tranny.

The reverse indicator lights (the white lights that illuminate at the rear of the vehicle when the stick is in reverse) do not illuminate. I replaced both bulbs (which appeared to be fine) and checked all the fuses. Still do not work.

I checked underneath the vehicle, too. There are two connectors coming into the tranny. Both appear sound.

I'm hoping someone here could point me in the direction of what they'd look for next.

Thanks for any help or advice!

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
i don't own a first gen tundra,but i am a mechanic.if you can figure out which switch on the tranny is for the reverse lights,with the truck in reverse you should have 12V on both sides of the plug.if you only have 12V on one side with it in reverse,then your switch probably crapped out and will need replacing.good thing is,replacing it is usually pretty easy needing only a deep socket and a ratchet or wrench if there's not enough room.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, that makes sense the switch

Thanks, Bennett. I think that makes sense, as both bulbs went out at the same time. I suppose it could be a relay too, but I'm thinking that a mechanical switch might be more prone to failure, but maybe that is just wishful thinking. In any case, I just sourced a switch for less than $20 delivered, and I'm going to start by replacing it. I'll be able to look at the replacement part and hopefully it will match up with one of the two switches I saw from the underside of the tranny.

If anyone else knows where this switch is located, I'd be more than happy if you'd pass it along.

Again, thanks for your help, Bennett.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts