Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm pricing out the HID kits and after reading a whole bunch of threads on here it looks like some are using the Morimoto Elite kits and others are using the DDM kits. FYI my Tundra is an 07 SR5 (no fogs yet). Just doing Lows and Highs at the moment - currently running Sylvania Ultras in both H&L's (they are OK).

I've priced the MM kit out as follows.
H11: Morimoto Elite HID System $150

Ballasts: Morimoto 3Five (35w)
Kelvin: 6000K
Wire Harness: H11
Wire Harness Type: Heavy Duty Relay

9005: Morimoto Elite HID System $150

Ballasts: Morimoto 3Five (35w)
Kelvin: 6000K
Wire Harness: 9005
Wire Harness Type: Heavy Duty Relay

Total Cost $300

I've priced the DDM Kit out as follows

DDM HID Kit, 55W, H11, 5000K $50.00 x 1
DDM HID Kit, 55W, 9005, 5000K $50.00 x 1
Pair of Mounting brackets for Raptor Ballasts $8.00 x 2
(do you need the mounting brackets??)

Total Cost $108.00

There's a pretty big cost difference between these two kits. Is the Morimoto Elite kit that much better? I like the braided stainless lines in the MM kit. Do I need mounting brackets for the DDMs? Looks like MM Elite's come with "mounting hardware". Also the MM Elite kit only comes in 35W whereas the DDM kit I've priced out comes in 55W, "more usable light" according to what I'm reading.

If anyone has pics of the MM Elite kits installed in their Tundra's please feel free to post pics of them installed in daylight as well as night output photos.

Thanks for the feedback! HIDs look like the way to go! Love the look and the light output, dark dark roads where I live and the Tundra OEMs with Sylvania's just aren't doing the trick for me. :lol5:

·
Registered
832 Posts
I have the DDM 55w 8000k and love them.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I have used eBay kits on all my ride except the FX retro i did on my Tacoma. I have no trouble out of the eBay kits have been using one set of ballast for about 2 almost 3 years now.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Raptor 55W HID kits look to be a little cheaper... I'm guessing the difference is the raptor kits have no slim ballasts? Does that even matter in our Tundra's?

Priced out.

Raptor HID Kit, 55W, H11 (low beams), 6000K $40.00 x 1
Raptor HID Kit, 55W, 9005 (high beams), 6000K $40.00 x 1
Pair of Mounting brackets for Raptor Ballasts $4.00 x 4

Total cost: $88.00

That seems like a killer price if they will work like I want and be reliable!?? THOUGHTS?

·
Registered
832 Posts
I liked them so much I am retor fitting hella 700ff's with the Raptor 55w 6000k kits. I have read many people say that the raptor is better than the slim kits. I think it has to do with reliability issues with the slim kits. I don't have any knowledge of the MM kits.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
for the price and performance, u cannot beat the DDM kit. i have the 35w 6k DDM kit in my low beams, and u see much better at night compared to stock. if youre only getting an HID kit, id go with DDM. you dont need any mounting brackets/hardware for the DDM kit.

however, with the increased brightness of the DDM kit, you'll also be blinding other cars. its true for any plug and play HID kit. if u were gonna spend $300 for the morimoto HID system, u might as well spend the little extra money and do a complete retrofit with projectors. i was convinced to do it as well. i will be giving up my DDMs and going with a FX-R retrofit this weekend. my early christmas gift to myself. u should look into it

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Price seems negligible between the DDMs and the Raptors. if the Raptors are more reliable and cheaper, seems smarter to just order those ey!?

RangerMike do the 8Ks throw off a blue tint even at 55w? Or is it more white? I'm thinking 6K bulbs for the whitest white.

·
Registered
832 Posts
DDM makes two different sets of HIDs. One is called the Slim and one the Raptor. I went with the Raptor because people said they had less problems with them.

I used 8000K and the blue tint is very faint. I went with 6000K in the Hella's because it is said that color(heat) will produce better offroad lights.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Helpful Info! for those learning like me (maybe!)

OK more reading! Looks like according the DDM Knowledge Center the differences between the slim and Raptor are as follows.

Obviously the slim are slim ballasts and the raptors are 3/4 sized ballasts, however the raptors are analog in and digital out, whereas the slims are digital in and digital out. Meaning the slims will fire a fraction of a second quicker than the Raptors.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I decided to go with the 55watt DDM in the 6K bulbs for my H11(low beams) and keep my stock Silver Star Ultras for my high beams since I sometimes flash them... If I'm reading that right the 55Ws should wash out to around the pure white of the 35W 5K bulb which is the color I'm looking for!

Also got the mounting brackets for $4, rather do that than double sided tape or Velcro. I'll post pics before/after and installs when I get them! If they work well I'd add a 35W H10 for my Fogs after I get those installed.

Thanks for all the info and feedback. I learned alot today!

·
Registered
832 Posts
You will be happy with the 55w and the color. The problem is.....you will not be able to see your highs when they're on. They are no where near the brightness of the HID's.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Maybe so RangerMike, maybe so... But I will say my HI Beams are pretty damn bright! But maybe I have no idea how bright the HIDs really will be? We'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

If the lows work out well and function like I want I might have to order the highs when I order the fogs... That'd be rough! ha!

·
Registered
832 Posts
Maybe so RangerMike, maybe so... But I will say my HI Beams are pretty damn bright! But maybe I have no idea how bright the HIDs really will be? We'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

If the lows work out well and function like I want I might have to order the highs when I order the fogs... That'd be rough! ha!
I think you will be surprised....I can't even see my brights anymore. I upgraded the bulbs too. I am not going to put HID's in my highs because I will have 4 lights on a light bar that will be 55w HID.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I liked them so much I am retor fitting hella 700ff's with the Raptor 55w 6000k kits. I have read many people say that the raptor is better than the slim kits. I think it has to do with reliability issues with the slim kits. I don't have any knowledge of the MM kits.
Please correct if I am wrong but the 700ff uses a h3 bulb. When you are converting them to HIDs, what bulb are you using? I will be running 4 hella 1000 black magics and in looking at the lights, it is next to impossible to convert them to HIDs. The main reason is that HID bulbs are so much bigger than halogen bulbs and there is no room. Please post pics when you do your conversion.

·
Registered
832 Posts
I am using the DDM Raptor 55W 6000K H3 kit. I am not sure about putting them in the Black Magics, but I know people put them in the Hella 500's as well. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
All this HID talk and waiting on my DDM's to get here has made me really notice everyone's headlights on the roads. Simply put most vehicles have DOWNRIGHT SH*TTY LOOKING HEADLIGHTS! Its quite amazing when you start paying attention to headlights, how dull and yellow most people's lights really are!

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Curious... Anyone ever have an issue getting their tracking info?

I have a number starting with LN and ending in CN, which my shipping email from DDM say where I can track and neither site has any record of my shipment from two days ago?

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
DDM HID Kit in the mail!

TundraPart Fog Light kit in the mail!

MERRY XMAS TO ME! MERRY XMAS TO ME!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts