Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't know if anybody else has had this problem but let me explain what is going on. Back in late April to early May 2004 there was a group buy on Retrax bed covers. Today I tried to open mine and after going in about a foot it got stuck. Wouldn't go in or out. Not being able to see inside the covers housing to figure out what was wrong I had to use a little bit of force to pull in back out. It did come back out BUT it broke the cover. Couldn't figure out what was going on so I removed the plastic stop pin by the tailgate so that I could pull the cover a little ways out. Then I saw the problem. On each end of the housing there are covers where the cover rolls up into. The tracks that the rollers for the cover rides on to coil up inside the housing are also made of PLASTIC. It looks like a groove is milled into the side covers and a strip of plastic less then 1/8 th inch thick is installed in the groove. The plastic strip that the rollers ride on have (and I didn't actually count) well over 50 cracks in it. So when I went to open it a 2 to 3 inch piece broke off completely thus making the roller fall out of the groove and become stuck which is why it wouldn't go in or out. My truck is a 2002 that I got in Oct of 2001. I got my cover in May of 2004 and I know it's been 9 years but at the time I had around 5500 miles on it. Now it's got 22,500. It's a pleasure vehicle for me. Never used for work and never in the rain or snow. Garage kept. In the winter it may not even leave the garage for weeks if salt were put down for snow. So as you can see this cover isn't opened and closed on a daily or weekly or even monthly bases. I can't see how they chose to use plastic on such a pivotal piece. If you never looked inside the housing just pull the plastic pin and pull the cover out about a foot so you can see inside the housing to see the side covers. You might be surprised at what you see. I can't believe I'm the only one that has this problem. Will be calling them tomorrow to see what can be done to fix this issue. Right now it's useless. Will post something when I see what they can or will do. Has anybody else had this same issue? I already posted this over at Tundra Solutions.

·
Premium Member
458 Posts
I had one for about 4 years on another truck. It stopped working well at the 4 year point. I didn't pursue anything with the company, but I have had 3 or 4 bed covers since and nothing from them.

Here is what you are up against.

The RetraxPRO has a limited lifetime warranty for the failure of materials and workmanship. Warranty replacement costs will be prorated after three (3) years.

After the prorate and the shipping and handling costs you are probably at zero.

I might be wrong, just ask my ex-wife.

·
Premium Member
8,115 Posts
It's not a mileage wear item, time and or sun is gonna degrade the plastic more than anything. After 9 years, it doesn't owe you much of anything. Contact the company and see if they'll sell you the replacement pieces you need.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
That clear plastic area that broke happened to me too. They prorated a whole new Retrax cover (not the rails though). It is a weak point for sure. But 2 years later still going strong.
They will ask you to email them pics. Cost for new one prorated was a fraction of new one for me.
I bought it considering price of new and below 200 dollars for prorated.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Happened to me exactly as you describe, too!!

Don't know if anybody else has had this problem but let me explain what is going on. Back in late April to early May 2004 there was a group buy on Retrax bed covers. Today I tried to open mine and after going in about a foot it got stuck. Wouldn't go in or out. Not being able to see inside the covers housing to figure out what was wrong I had to use a little bit of force to pull in back out. It did come back out BUT it broke the cover. Couldn't figure out what was going on so I removed the plastic stop pin by the tailgate so that I could pull the cover a little ways out. Then I saw the problem. On each end of the housing there are covers where the cover rolls up into. The tracks that the rollers for the cover rides on to coil up inside the housing are also made of PLASTIC. It looks like a groove is milled into the side covers and a strip of plastic less then 1/8 th inch thick is installed in the groove. The plastic strip that the rollers ride on have (and I didn't actually count) well over 50 cracks in it. So when I went to open it a 2 to 3 inch piece broke off completely thus making the roller fall out of the groove and become stuck which is why it wouldn't go in or out. My truck is a 2002 that I got in Oct of 2001. I got my cover in May of 2004 and I know it's been 9 years but at the time I had around 5500 miles on it. Now it's got 22,500. It's a pleasure vehicle for me. Never used for work and never in the rain or snow. Garage kept. In the winter it may not even leave the garage for weeks if salt were put down for snow. So as you can see this cover isn't opened and closed on a daily or weekly or even monthly bases. I can't see how they chose to use plastic on such a pivotal piece. If you never looked inside the housing just pull the plastic pin and pull the cover out about a foot so you can see inside the housing to see the side covers. You might be surprised at what you see. I can't believe I'm the only one that has this problem. Will be calling them tomorrow to see what can be done to fix this issue. Right now it's useless. Will post something when I see what they can or will do. Has anybody else had this same issue? I already posted this over at Tundra Solutions.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Happened to me exactly as you describe, too!!
I had the same problem on my replacement cover (my first one lasted about 11 years), and when I asked Retrax for a solution to the rollback cover being stuck they said they would ship me a new housing, no charge, even though mine was already over three years old at that point. I was able to get the cover rolled back into the housing, removed the unit from the truck and took it apart. Turns out that so much mud and debris was in there that it clogged the tracks. The housing itself was basically fine. Sill, I installed the new housing and my existing cover and its worked fine. Thanks, Retrax!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had one for about 4 years on another truck. It stopped working well at the 4 year point. I didn't pursue anything with the company, but I have had 3 or 4 bed covers since and nothing from them.

Here is what you are up against.

The RetraxPRO has a limited lifetime warranty for the failure of materials and workmanship. Warranty replacement costs will be prorated after three (3) years.

After the prorate and the shipping and handling costs you are probably at zero.

I might be wrong, just ask my ex-wife.

Here https://knoplace.com/japan-cars/toyota/rated-soft-roll-up-tonneau-cover-for-toyota-tundra can know more information about rated soft roll up tonneau cover for toyota tundra.
What is the best tonneau cover for 2020 Toyota Tundra?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts