Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi ,new to this forum.I have a 2007 Tundra and love it.I was the first one in town to own the New Style Tundra in my City and there has been no looking back.But I have a Retrax box cover and I have searched for info on my problem on the web,but have not found anyone with the same problem as I.
The cover retracts up until the last 3' then it gets stiff and if I continue pushing it in ,it gets stuck.I then have to yank on it to get it to pull out.I took the plate off at the tailgate to pull it further out,so I could see inside and I can't see any reason why it would get stuck.The plastic track inside is all good and there is no obstruction in there,yet it gets stuck.
Anyone else know of this or have experienced this on a retrax cover.?
thanks for any help, Rob

·
Registered
577 Posts
Hi ,new to this forum.I have a 2007 Tundra and love it.I was the first one in town to own the New Style Tundra in my City and there has been no looking back.But I have a Retrax box cover and I have searched for info on my problem on the web,but have not found anyone with the same problem as I.
The cover retracts up until the last 3' then it gets stiff and if I continue pushing it in ,it gets stuck.I then have to yank on it to get it to pull out.I took the plate off at the tailgate to pull it further out,so I could see inside and I can't see any reason why it would get stuck.The plastic track inside is all good and there is no obstruction in there,yet it gets stuck.
Anyone else know of this or have experienced this on a retrax cover.?
thanks for any help, Rob
Mine does this as well...it eventually goes all the way in but it does get stiff for some reason. I am assuming you have the retrax one and not the pro?

·
Registered
14,828 Posts

I have the RetraxPro ~ my rig is a 2005 long bed. I've not put this cover to the ultimate challenge like my handyman buddy did with his BedCovers USA unit.
However, this thing has performed well and done what I needed it to do. I really have no complaints so far.
I hope I don't jinks it ~ I love the looks and function of this accessory.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
WoodieGuy, have you called Retrax tech support?

Thanks
Josh
Svcustoms.com
Yes, I have been emailing back and forth with them and so far they have not been able to tell me why this happens and what I could do to fix it.
So was wondering if there is someone else that may have had this same problem and what they did to fix it.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Yes, I have been emailing back and forth with them and so far they have not been able to tell me why this happens and what I could do to fix it.
So was wondering if there is someone else that may have had this same problem and what they did to fix it.
Hey man, i called Retrax and they are replacing my center curtain for this issue. I just bought this within a year ago so they are replacing it for free. I hope they do you right as well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey man, i called Retrax and they are replacing my center curtain for this issue. I just bought this within a year ago so they are replacing it for free. I hope they do you right as well.
Thats awesome for you.Unfortunatly mine is not under warranty anymore.What happened to your centre curtain to cause this to happen? I can't visibly see any thing wrong with my whole set up ,nothing looks broken or loose,yet binds once past 2/3rds retraction.

I think Retrax is stumped and I am still waiting for them to get back to me with what to try or look at next.Weekend now so don't expect to hear anything until next week.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Thats awesome for you.Unfortunatly mine is not under warranty anymore.What happened to your centre curtain to cause this to happen? I can't visibly see any thing wrong with my whole set up ,nothing looks broken or loose,yet binds once past 2/3rds retraction.

I think Retrax is stumped and I am still waiting for them to get back to me with what to try or look at next.Weekend now so don't expect to hear anything until next week.
I took mine apart this evening just to look at what is going on in the canister. So, the canister has those clear plastic rails that coil up the cover right? Mine are cracked all over on the spiral and one piece actually broke off. This caused the ball bearing to slip off the track and get lodged into the spiral. Causing it to not go in all the way. My cover actually looks like it was warping in some areas due to that as well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I took mine apart this evening just to look at what is going on in the canister. So, the canister has those clear plastic rails that coil up the cover right? Mine are cracked all over on the spiral and one piece actually broke off. This caused the ball bearing to slip off the track and get lodged into the spiral. Causing it to not go in all the way. My cover actually looks like it was warping in some areas due to that as well.
That is what is puzzling about mine.I took it apart too,and those plastic rails,guides are all in good shape ,nothing is cracked.All parts seem to be in good shape ,nothing appears to be broken or worn out.I looked at it again today and took a brush and cleaned those plastic guides with soap and water.I retracted it after and it seemed a little better.Tomorrow I'm going to get some paraffin wax and see if that would help.They say don't use any lubricant at all.I also noticed the wheel bearings are dirty and have gunk built up on them,but could only access a couple while I had the curtain pulled out exposing the guts in the canister.I don't think I could pull the curtain all the way out and then get it back in the tracks again,without difficulty.But the wheel bearing don't seem to enter those plastic guides.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I cleaned the plastic guides inside, then rubbed paraffin wax on the plastic and now the curtain will slide all the way in without getting stuck.It slides much easier now.
I still have not heard back from customer service for 4 days now,had to figure it out myself.Not very good customer service if you ask me,for anyone thinking of buying a Retrax cover.

·
Registered
577 Posts
I cleaned the plastic guides inside, then rubbed paraffin wax on the plastic and now the curtain will slide all the way in without getting stuck.It slides much easier now.
I still have not heard back from customer service for 4 days now,had to figure it out myself.Not very good customer service if you ask me,for anyone thinking of buying a Retrax cover.
I think they were off for the weekend. I have not heard from them since Friday. Usually when you call, they are ready to help. Try giving them a call the next time an issue comes up. They were always helpful When i called in.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.