Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is this possible without damage? I need to take my rotors in for turning. I haven't taken it apart yet to look for myself, and obviously I would need to chalk/block it for safety. Trying to not buy a bunch of jack stands, would defeat the purpose if doing it myself to save. If not possible, any other ideas? Thanks in advance everyone!

·
Premium Member
3,545 Posts
I wouldn't do it. Find a couple of cement blocks and put them under the A-arms. No way to cause any damage this way.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I once depended on hydraulic jacks and improvised materials to support vehicle weight for extended periods without jack stands...not anymore. You shouldn't think of jack stands as an additional expense...think of them as an investment in the necessary tools to do the work properly, and cheap insurance to keep your Tundra from crushing you. I wouldn't remove and replace those huge tires twice just to avoid spending a few bucks buying proper tools. The bigger problem, in my opinion, is storing all that heavy iron for years until you need it again. :(

But, my preaching doesn't address your question. I haven't removed Tundra rotors before, so I have no idea what kind of hub surface is below that "hat" that fits over the studs...maybe it is flat and smooth where the rotor contacts the hub, maybe not. Anyway, as a minimum, I would say that your lug nuts had better be open on top, because they may not have enough depth to pull up the additional length representing the thickness of the rotor at the studs. If you try this, and you feel the lug nuts bottoming out, or the stainless cover over the lug nut bulging out before the wheel is torqued properly, it will be time to abandon this idea, and go buy the proper tools. And don't go cheap. The best ones are made with welded heavy angle iron bases, cast iron upper adjustment mechanisms, and as always, made in China.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,002 Posts
I'm no fan of Walmart but you can get a pair of jack stands for around $30..
Harbor Freight has them as low as $21.99.

I bought a pair for my first car in 1978 and still have them in the garage today..:D

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
Are you taking in all 4 at the same time? Jack stands are cheap and I am assuming you already have a floor jack, but if you are not going to buy and your only doing the front rotors why not just pull the rotors, put the tires back on for insurance, and leave it on the floor jack for a few hours or a day while the rotors are turned?

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Buy the jack stands

I don't understand if youre trying to use the tires as jack stands or if you want to put the tires and wheels back on after you take off the rotors, but either way, it's not gonna work. Most likely you wont be able to thread the lug nuts on far enough once the rotors are removed to touch the rim. You risk damaging your wheel studs, wheels, backing plate, and lug nuts as well.

Buy the jack stands. You shouldn't be working with just a jack underneath the vehicle anyway. They can (and will eventually) fail.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys. I have some jack stands, just not tall enough for the 3/1 level kit and 35's. I'll pick some new ones up, was just hoping reinstalling the wheel after removing the rotor would work, I did this on the wifes Audi with some washers stacked to recreate the thickness of the rotor.

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
Thanks guys. I have some jack stands, just not tall enough for the 3/1 level kit and 35's. I'll pick some new ones up, was just hoping reinstalling the wheel after removing the rotor would work, I did this on the wifes Audi with some washers stacked to recreate the thickness of the rotor.
I use 4x4 wood blocks on top of my jack stands for this reason.

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
you'll be fine with the washers,unless you plan on driving it :)

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
And, a ten pound sack of washers will take up less space than four jack stands! :D

·
Registered
44 Posts
How much can you save on turning rotors vs buying some new rotors? In any case, i don't think it's a good idea since the wheels have no hub face to contact. And there's always the possibility of blowing out your brake pistons if you hit the brakes by accident.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.