Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read several times about people disconnecting there battery to reset there computer for a fresh MPG calculation. Explain how this would be any different than resetting with the info button on the dash?

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
I think you misunderstood what they are doing.
The battery disconnect will reset the ECU back to factory specs and remove all of the "learned" driving characteristics it has stored up over time. This is usually a good idea if you make some sort of significant change to your Tundra.

·
Premium Member
5,489 Posts
What Mendonsy said sounds reasonable.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I could pull off the three weeks. Drive my work truck more often than the Tundra. The fifteen minitues is easier to do.

Smart a**.

·
Premium Member
13,349 Posts
disconnect battery, go inside house and get a cup of coffee. Connect battery and then sit enjoy your cup of coffee.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Personally, I thought the truck performed like poop while it was learning my driving style. The accelerator was too finicky. Now I need to really step on it for it to get moving. Although after 1600 miles the trans still doesn't know how to shift for me. I feel it stays in low gear too long if mash the pedal. It begs me to race her up to 60mph even though I'm only trying to hit 35 mph.

·
Premium Member
1,933 Posts
So I was just thinking about this after dropping the monkey off at school this morning.

Should a person, disconnect their battery a few times a year?

I was wondering about gas changes between summer and winter. I've never done it, but any benefit you guys could see??

·
Registered
808 Posts
I was wondering about gas changes between summer and winter. I've never done it, but any benefit you guys could see??
This has been debated for a long time over many car makes and models.

General consensus is leave it alone and it will figure things out faster than if you reset it each time.

Reactions: Tundergas

·
Registered
196 Posts
My truck tends to get "doggie" from my "use the cruise" driving style. To get the hot-rod truck performance back, I had to reset the computer. It sucks, but at least it doesn't cost me anything. I just wish there was a way to keep the factory setting, and keep it from "learning".

·
Registered
808 Posts
My truck tends to get "doggie" from my "use the cruise" driving style. To get the hot-rod truck performance back, I had to reset the computer. It sucks, but at least it doesn't cost me anything. I just wish there was a way to keep the factory setting, and keep it from "learning".
It would be nice if there was a switch. But in all honesty, I'm just glad the I didn't get in too much trouble while the truck was learning my driving style.

Brand new the truck is way too aggressive. For me that's bad because I lack restraint.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.