Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not a Tundra owner yet but I am quickly convincing myself that I need to be. In general I am looking for a 1/2 ton crew cab that I can use as a semi daily driver and towing a medium sized travel trailer throughout the summer. Due to how much I want to spend I am looking anywhere from '05 to '10 with 50k-80k miles. Tundra seems to take the cake in this year range and with a Tundra I would be less worried about a truck with those kind of miles.

One of the big questions I have is whether a double cab will work. I haven't been down to a lot to pile the family into one yet but I need to do that. If I can fit my family of 5 in a DC I will probably go that route as DCs are a LOT more common and less costly. The CrewMax does look a lot better and I KNOW it would have enough room though.

I also mountain bike a lot and want get a tailgate pad so I can forgo the bike rack. Not sure if the CrewMax bed is long enough. A tape measure should answer that question though.

Anyway, looking forward to combing through the mounds of Tundra info found on this forum.

·
Premium Member
458 Posts
Welcome, Mate

You'll want the CM for a family of 5. That model came out in the 2007 MY. The 2006 Double Cab would be enough for a family of 5, but that model maxed out with the 4.7L engine. For towing a TT you'd probably want the 5.7L. As far as the 07 and up DC's go, I'm sure you could fit but as the family grows you might find it cramped.

As far as getting a tailgate pad for bikes, heck yeah that would work on the CM. You aren't rocking a tandem mountain bike are you?

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Picked up a black '08 Tundra CrewMax SR5 today. Its still has to go through the "Toyota Certified" process so I won't have it for at least a couple days. It was traded in yesterday so it hadn't even been cleaned when we looked at it. It was too good of a deal to pass up. It has some scratches but it runs great and the interior is in great shape.

It comes with some goodies as well....
- KMC XD Rockstars, 20"
- Toyo Open County 35x12.50R20
- 3/1 level
- ARB Sahara Bar front bumper
- Kenwood touchscreen head unit
- Blacked out tail lights and cab light
- Blacked out emblems
- It may have an exhaust on it, I had a nice shirt on so I didn't crawl under it too far

Plans once I get my hands on it....
- Add fog lights to the front bumper (weren't transfered to the new bumper for some reason but the wires and plugs are there)
- Add a backup camera and maybe a forward facing camera
- Weathertech mats
- Aftermarket grill (Have seen a few I like)
- Retracting tonneau cover
- Might talk to my buddy at Les Schwab and see about trading the Rockstars for something I like better. Rockstars are just too common around here.
- Also thinking about an OME 613 front kit with the weight of that bumper. It has spacers right now. Would be down the road though.
- Will add a sub down the road as well.

Some pictures I took with my cell....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts