Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My differential was cracked, then epoxied, now leaking again. Need to redo the whole rear end at this point. Thought I'd ask Toyota Service what it'd cost from them.

Dealer was quoting me at 12 hours for the job, plus a new differential, at 8k. Seems absurd to me. Looking to salvage parts and go to a local mechanic, but just curious what people here think of that. Might as well get a new truck!

2003 Toyota Tundra / AC / 4x4 (3.91) / LSD / ABS

·
Registered
980 Posts
Whereabouts are you located? I saw a refurbished rear end on CL the other day for $800, IIRC. The junkyard would prolly be in the 500-1000 range. Being a 2003, I can’t remember if that’s the unicorn year when it comes to gears, but I think they should match up with one version or another of same body style Tundra; they changed the gear ratio back and forth once or twice for auto/manual/dc/crew/4x4/4x2 etc. As long as the gear ratio is the same, I believe it should work.

I wouldn’t think a mechanic wouldn’t charge more than $1000 to swap it out, assuming you don’t need a pile of new parts like brakes, lines, u joints, etc.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Blenton, I'm in Maine about 30 miles north of Portland. The ratio logistics have been tricky. Looking for the 4x4 TRD V8 (limited slip/ABS) which I determined is 3.91 to my best knowledge. What CL zip code are you?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Never go to a Toyota dealership I'm in Florida Mike Erdman Toyota/Nissan ripped me off and destroyed my transmission the pump started making noise they said the whole trans was bad charged me 1800 to put it back in when I said I couldn't afford that they put so much silicone that it was all in the valve body and throughout the transmission Ithe torque converter welded to the shaft they put some additive in it so it would drive awhile I had it rebuilt cost me 3g and that was a hookup could have avoided all of it with a pump sorry not on topic but pass it on stay away from Toyota dealerships

·
Registered
3 Posts
I wouldn't pay more than about 1000 though for a rear end that's with low miles I also see them all the time for cheap maybe try and cross reference it Toyota likes to play number games with there parts most likely with parts 4 runner and Tacoma parts swap with small differences

1 - 6 of 6 Posts