Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I was looking into changing my brakes front brakes and rotors on my 2012 Tundra, so of course I came to the forums first. I found the DIY thread with pictures but after a little searching on Youtube I found a good install video.

I figured I'd share it, maybe it'll help other people who like seeing video of the job in addition to a write up. I ended up ordering the Tundra Duralo ceramic brake pads and the duralo rotors. I've had them on for a little over a week now and I really like them.

2012 Toyota Tundra Brake Disc Rotor Front 71-02079 JL

One thing that I was a little concerned about was the initial feel when taking them for a spin. When I would come to a stop, they would grab really hard and make a thunking noise. After taking it around the block a few times, probably has a small break in period, they were completely fine. Overall I like the feel and the less noticeable dust.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Thanks for the review and youtube link.

·
Registered
302 Posts
This. Don't forget to bed/break in your pads and rotors. I typically use the Hawk approach listed on that site. Break from 30-35mph down to 5 half a dozen times and then make a few good stops from 45 down to 0.
Almost 2 months ago now I installed new brakes and rotors on our 4runner. Used the same break-in as above and worked well. New Hawk LTS Pads and Stoptech Cyro Slotted Rotors. What a world of difference!!! Will do the same on my Tundra in the near future. Gotta Love YouTube!!!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Almost 2 months ago now I installed new brakes and rotors on our 4runner. Used the same break-in as above and worked well. New Hawk LTS Pads and Stoptech Cyro Slotted Rotors. What a world of difference!!! Will do the same on my Tundra in the near future. Gotta Love YouTube!!!
How did you like the brakes?

I just bought it today as I my front brakes are going out fast. Dealer told me it was at 3MM.

·
Registered
302 Posts
How did you like the brakes?

I just bought it today as I my front brakes are going out fast. Dealer told me it was at 3MM.
I noticed a definite improvement! The front brakes had almost 90k and the rears we guestimated 120k miles. We bought the 4runner with 80k on it. We are now at 196k. Rotors are unknown.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Just installed the stoptech cyro rotors and Hawks brake pads for the front today. The wheel stud broke off and I went on a goose hunt to find a replacement. After 4-5 hours of going to places, ended up finding a replacement at Napa. I'm hearing impaired but my fiancé said she was hearing a whistle possibly on the right side. What could that mean?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the review and youtube link.
No problem just trying to help the community out.

This. Don't forget to bed/break in your pads and rotors. I typically use the Hawk approach listed on that site. Break from 30-35mph down to 5 half a dozen times and then make a few good stops from 45 down to 0.
Yup this is exactly what I did. I didn't know this method before hand but it worked!

Also the Duralo brake pads and Duralo rotors have been great on my truck. No problems at all.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I did new rotors and pads all the way around. My brakes are a little squishy. I bled all for calipers. When I turn left or right I hear a pulsing scraping noise onbth front driver side.l, what could that be? I took off the tire and re assembled it and still the same problem.

·
Registered
8 Posts
4 years later .. hey guys, im in the same position in wanting to change up my breaks. anybody have good links to some? also im not very handy so im going to attempt to follow that video

·
Registered
737 Posts
I did new rotors and pads all the way around. My brakes are a little squishy. I bled all for calipers. When I turn left or right I hear a pulsing scraping noise onbth front driver side.l, what could that be? I took off the tire and re assembled it and still the same problem.
Just pads and rotors , no bleeding is ness.

The noise is either the sheet metal dust shield slightly bent ,, or a unit bearing with some play

1 - 13 of 13 Posts