Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after a little mudding adventure I fried my alternator. Dealership wants $1082 parts and labor. I have researched online and found OEM ones for around $611 and remain from the big name retail stores for around $220. I really would rather not spend over a grand for a new alternator and am wanting now to suck it up and repalce it myself (plenty of auto know how). I have just been lazy with working on my own vehicles lately.

So what brands are a good one for aftermarket alternators?

Josh

· Banned
5,424 Posts
I know Sngo install his alternator himself, you might want to ask him a few questions about the installation.
it should be easy since he doesn't know what direction you turn a screw to loosen it.
I did it myself also, it wasnt to bad i think it took 3-4 hrs

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

· Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Reactions: Wacked

· Registered
403 Posts
does anyone have a how-to on alternator replacement?

· Registered
2,506 Posts
If you want OEM, send this guy an email. He works for Frank Motors in California and this is what he quoted me for 150 Amps

Don’t show anything greater than 150 for your 2007 Tundra. It runs $589.00 (do not list a reman option, either).

Thanks,

Scott

([email protected])

I paid $300 for an remanuf at Napa auto and that sucker has a bad voltage regulator. I had all kind of check lights in my dash and finally that bad alternator toasted my Optima yellow top which cost me $265. Napa replaced the alternator and a new battery. If i can go back and do it all over again, i would order one from the dealer to avoid "bad voltage regulator".

It takes approx 1hr (this is for a none mechanic guy like me) to replace the alternator. Here is what i did :D

1. Jack passenger side up
2. remove the wheel
3. drain the radiator
4. remove the radiator hose
5. Remove the belt
6. drop the front sway bar (do not completely remove the bar)
7. remove the two screws on the alternator
8. Remove the power steering pump (do not disconnect the hose but you can unplug the cable)
9. remove the nut behind the power steering pump that keep the alternator in place
10. remove the two connectors that connect into the back of the alternator
11. remove the alternator through the bottom

Now you are ready to install the new alternator. Make sure you disconnect your battery :D

· Registered
2,506 Posts
I know Sngo install his alternator himself, you might want to ask him a few questions about the installation.
it should be easy since he doesn't know what direction you turn a screw to loosen it.

Ahole :lol5:

· Banned
5,424 Posts
If you want OEM, send this guy an email. He works for Frank Motors in California and this is what he quoted me for 150 Amps

Don’t show anything greater than 150 for your 2007 Tundra. It runs $589.00 (do not list a reman option, either).

Thanks,

Scott

([email protected])

I paid $300 for an remanuf at Napa auto and that sucker has a bad voltage regulator. I had all kind of check lights in my dash and finally that bad alternator toasted my Optima yellow top which cost me $265. Napa replaced the alternator and a new battery. If i can go back and do it all over again, i would order one from the dealer to avoid "bad voltage regulator".

It takes approx 1hr (this is for a none mechanic guy like me) to replace the alternator. Here is what i did :D

1. Jack passenger side up
2. remove the wheel
3. drain the radiator
4. remove the radiator hose
5. Remove the belt
6. drop the front sway bar (do not completely remove the bar)
7. remove the two screws on the alternator
8. Remove the power steering pump (do not disconnect the hose but you can unplug the cable)
9. remove the nut behind the power steering pump that keep the alternator in place
10. remove the two connectors that connect into the back of the alternator
11. remove the alternator through the bottom

Now you are ready to install the new alternator. Make sure you disconnect your battery :D
I didn't do half of that when i installed mine! Maybe thats y it took me longer:(,lol. I only removed the ps pump. Where did u take it out thru?

· Registered
2,506 Posts
I didn't do half of that when i installed mine! Maybe thats y it took me longer:(,lol. I only removed the ps pump. Where did u take it out thru?

Through the bottom. Hey i have 3" body lift and there is no way you can fit that alternator through the fender well....

May be it is different with 4.7l LOL.

· Registered
1,036 Posts
I replaced mine last Dec. I bought the replacement part from Kragen. They stock them in their distribution center. Replacement is a pain due to tight spaces. You can't even see the bolts that needs to be removed. I had to use my iphone to take videos of where the bolt heads are exactly located.

Passenger wheel needs to be removed.
The splash shield needs to be partly removed.
And most important: Disconnect your battery before work begins.

Google it. There are pics of it in one of the tundra forums.

· Registered
2,506 Posts
It is not that hard. Just like Marco said. I am not much of a mechanic and i think it is easy to do. Just follow the steps and you will be fine....

· Banned
5,424 Posts
Through the bottom. Hey i have 3" body lift and there is no way you can fit that alternator through the fender well....

May be it is different with 4.7l LOL.
I have a 5.7 n took it thru the fender well, it was ridiculous!!!!! But a little Crisco & the jaws of life go a long way!!! Jk,lol

· Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ended up going its a Duralast 180 amp for a Sequoia as a replacement from Autozone. Cost me $177

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.