Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I got both front seals done (with help from members here) but as I went to pull the plug from the differential I saw that the previous person who did the service stripped the bolt! I am now stuck with do I drill it or spray it with penetrating fluid and let it soak and then put heat to it. Or just run an extractor in it? Anyone have advice?

Then I go to do the rear pinion seal and i try to take the detent out of the nut but seem to have made it worse. I tried a breaker bar on it but it is on there good. Are these nuts a softer metal where I can take it off without damaging the threads of the pinion?

·
Registered
40 Posts
I would say spray it with some penetrating fluid then use a easy out. Should only have 29ft.lbs of torque on it according to FSM. This is how you have to remove the pinion nut(lots of leverage)-

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
77 Posts
That or a really strong air gun!

The diff drain, I've had success using an air hammer and a sharp chisel bit. I chew into the perimeter edge of the bolt and knock it counter clockwise. Usually as soon as it moves it'll come out by hand. You may get the same results with an hand chisel and a hammer, but the air hammer makes it a quick "burrrrp" and it's out. Obviously you'll want a new drain plug and gasket on hand.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just don't want to mangle the pinion threads I may try a 1/2 impact and if that doesn't budge i'll go the air hammer route to try to move it. I am just concerned that the detent on the nut will strip the top threads but if it's a softer metal then it shouldn't be a concern. Maybe I should throw some heat on the bolt as well before attempting to remove it.

·
Registered
77 Posts
The nut metal is not stronger than the pinion material. We rip axle nuts off CV axles with an air gun every day. Never has a dimple even slowed down the gun/nut.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The nut metal is not stronger than the pinion material. We rip axle nuts off CV axles with an air gun every day. Never has a dimple even slowed down the gun/nut.
I am assuming that the nut are usually a 1 time use then?

·
Registered
77 Posts
I am assuming that the nut are usually a 1 time use then?
Technically, yes. We've reused them countless times in the past when doing wheel bearings with zero failures but Toyota will tell you "Remove and Discard". The dimpled area of the nut will pop back up to clear the threads as the nut is spun off. Yours looks nice and clean. Up to you in the end but I would reuse unless I saw something wrong with it. I use a small solid punch to push the lip back into the dimple.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts