Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2013 Tundra double cab Rock Warrior. The radio antenna on it was always hitting the garage door. I purchased a shorty antenna for it to solve that problem. Some of the reviews on it mentioned that it was a little stiff and had broken off for a few people.

Well it happened to me. Was washing the truck and caught it with a rag and it snapped off at the threads down inside the hole. Nothing sticking up to grab onto. The threaded portion looks like it is a little too small to attempt drilling it and using an easy out.

Seems like the best solution would be to replace the base on the truck with a new one. Have looked to see if I can figure out how to access it and don't see any place to get at it.

So, thought I would ask here if anyone knows a relatively easy way to remove the base for replacement?

Thanks,
Carl

·
Registered
14 Posts
Try using a Dremel or similar tool to grind a small slot in the top so you can use a small screwdriver to remove the stub. You will need a long tapered/pointed bit. Broken antennas are more common than you might think, and they always seem to break off right above the threads.

Here's a link to another forum where the guy drilled a small offset hole and was able to unscrew it:

https://www.toyotatruckclub.com/threads/someone-ripped-the-antenna-off-my-tundra.356256/

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the link to the video. That's exactly the problem I have. The remaining stud is in there a little too deep to use a dremel without cutting up the plastic base. I'll try using a small drill bit to see if I can get enough torque going to remove it with a pick or other small tool. It's been in there a while - hope it's not to rusted in there it get it to come loose.

Carl

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just ordered a set of small screw extractors from Amazon. Might be small of enough to do the job. I'll post here with the results.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,002 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts