Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do folks decide on type of tires?

1. If on and off-roading then a more aggressive tread like a BF Goodrich All-Terrain T/A KO2?

2. If on road with a little off-roading in the desert can I get more of a highway tire?

Thoughts?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you! I was worried the tread was too aggressive for highway driveway which I will be doing more of. I was worried about road noise, lower mpg's and wearing out too quickly.

·
Registered
130 Posts
If you were to get the BFG M&TI think they would be pretty noisy on asphalt, but the KO2’s are surprisingly quiet, given their more aggressive tread and sidewall. I have owned 3 trucks with them, I wouldn’t consider any other brand/model. I have aired them down to go on some pretty rocky and muddy trails, and I especially like them for towing my travel trailer. Just make sure that you inflate them to the pressure listed on the sidewall, and not the listed one on the door jamb. I run mine at 50 PSI, not the factory 35.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds good.. Thanks! That is what was on them. OEM i believe. How many miles do you usually get out of them? I am in AZ so rocks and dirt we have more than mud and snow but I will go into the mountains so it would be good to have an aggressive tread and study sidewalls. $275 a tire! Yikes! ;-)

·
Registered
130 Posts
I had a 2003 Nissan Xterra with the first generation KO’s on it, I had 3 years and about 60,000 kilometres on them, they still had lots of meat on them. I believe the factory specs are 80,000 miles.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Live in AZ also. BFG K02s will work well for you! Just installed my second set. BTW, you will, on occasion, encounter mud and snow. You will be very happy then that you spent the extra $$$ on a good tire!

·
Registered
136 Posts
2. If on road with a little off-roading in the desert can I get more of a highway tire?

Thoughts?

Well if you don't mind getting stranded in the desert with two flat tires, go ahead and run P-rated tires. It sure gets cold when the sun goes down. I suggest Light Truck tires, like Goodyear Wrangler Dura-Trac.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Either Michelin or the KO2's. Both are great. Michelin for highway use primarily. KO2's are a tougher tire and you do need them if you are doing off roading. They are also a little bit stiffer ride tire but nice and quiet and smooth on the road.

·
Registered
6 Posts
2012 Stock TRD-4x4

Just did the tire game this past week, 95% on road 5% offroad mostly sand/beach.
Went with Toyo LT275/70/18 Open Country H/T II. They ride great.

Prior, I had Toyo AT II and they were nice but a little too noisy for me as they aged. Was told the new AT III fixes the noise issue. Also I didn't need the AT tread as it really doesn't help much in the sand over a road tire. Just air down if needed. The AT II had great life, 75,000 miles with tread left, only replaced because they were 7-8 years old.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts