Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys. New member to the forum. I just purchased my first Tundra, a 2008 SR5 package with the 5.7. Time for me to start learning the ins and outs of maintaining the truck as I do most of my own general maintenance.

I had a question on what oil to run. I know Toyota calls for conventional 5W-30. I live in the upper Midwest so we don’t get the very hot weather but we do get very cold weather. I only put on about 6,000 miles a year on the truck and don’t tow anything very large. It sits in a garage for a couple months at a time especially during the winter. My question is, should I just use conventional 5W-30? I was thinking that if I went to a full synthetic I could change it only once a year and not worry about it. The old rule of thumb with the conventional is every 3,000 to 5,000 miles or 3 to 4 months correct? I don’t want to change it after 3 months when it only has 1,000 miles on it if I can help it. Any insight would be appreciated.

Also, what size gasket do I need for the oil pan drain plug?

Thank you.

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
I use Amsoil Full synthetic and change it once a year about 20K miles. I do change the filter at 10k even thou it is rated to 20k. Been doing that on all my vehicles with no issues. My VW has 120k and not a single engine problem. My Jeep had 140k on it no problems before I sold it.

·
Registered
8,147 Posts
I use Mobil1 0w-20 fully synthetic. Like you, I live in a colder region and I do not drive very much (few thousand miles a year).

Reactions: Thinlizzyfan

·
Registered
318 Posts
Put in Mobil1 0w-20 synthetic then let it go for 15000 miles. I'm not joking...

He is not joking....this is what I used to do and never an issue. Now I change it every 10k mainly to keep up with warranty requirements...

Reactions: dandailey and dandl

·
Registered
617 Posts
I typically put 7 to 8 k a year on mine and just change every 6 months with Toyota recommended dino oil. I usually have a lot short trips and worry about condensation in the oil. For those running synthetic, is condensation from short trips a concern?

·
Premium Member
1,888 Posts
Depending on the winter I usually run synthetic Castrol 30W or Mobil 20W if colder. Summertime I run Castrol 40W European formula. Oil gets changed out at 5k or as dictated by the climate. Cheap insurance for me...

·
Premium Member
1,888 Posts
I've heard good things about Castrol 0w-30 from AutoZone (European formula). Sometimes referred to as German Castrol. I recently bought my truck, so I haven't changed the oil yet. I'm considering using the aforementioned oil when I do.
I have a hard time finding the Castrol 30W in the European formula.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Hi guys. New member to the forum. I just purchased my first Tundra, a 2008 SR5 package with the 5.7. Time for me to start learning the ins and outs of maintaining the truck as I do most of my own general maintenance.

I had a question on what oil to run. I know Toyota calls for conventional 5W-30. I live in the upper Midwest so we don’t get the very hot weather but we do get very cold weather. I only put on about 6,000 miles a year on the truck and don’t tow anything very large. It sits in a garage for a couple months at a time especially during the winter. My question is, should I just use conventional 5W-30? I was thinking that if I went to a full synthetic I could change it only once a year and not worry about it. The old rule of thumb with the conventional is every 3,000 to 5,000 miles or 3 to 4 months correct? I don’t want to change it after 3 months when it only has 1,000 miles on it if I can help it. Any insight would be appreciated.

Also, what size gasket do I need for the oil pan drain plug?

Thank you.
Recommended oil for the 5.7 is 5w20 or 0w20 in a conventional, and you are running the truck enough I would just do it on mileage, and not worry about the time. As long as it runs long enough to get good and warm to get and moisture out from sitting. Synth won't hurt, but unless its hot or towing hard, the 30 weight is not really necessary. I would just run the 0w20 in what ever flavor you like. (I tow and go from freezing to 100 in the mountains, so personally I am running 0w30 M1 synth)

·
Premium Member
3,918 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
You really cannot tell how your oil or change interval is working without an oil analysis. I use Blackstone out of Fort Wayne. I use the German Castrol and Toyota OEM filters, both easily sourced on Amazon cheaper than any local source. So far the analysis is telling me that I need to change a little more often than 10K miles.

I bought it used at 20K miles so have no idea of its history. First change analysis indicated it may have never been changed. Second change 10K miles later showed it needs an earlier change. Next change is next week at 7500 miles.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
................I had a question on what oil to run........... I only put on about 6,000 miles a year on the truck and don’t tow anything very large. It sits in a garage for a couple months at a time especially during the winter..........I was thinking that if I went to a full synthetic I could change it only once a year and not worry about it..............Any insight would be appreciated...........Thank you.
You would be fine using a full synthetic oil of which ever weight the owners manual calls for. Mobil 1 is what I use because it's readily available in my area.

Since I like tinkering on my vehicles I change mine out every 5k. I'm sure it can go longer but I don't trust the filters for any longer.

Reactions: MikeMcRN

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
You really cannot tell how your oil or change interval is working without an oil analysis. I use Blackstone out of Fort Wayne. I use the German Castrol and Toyota OEM filters, both easily sourced on Amazon cheaper than any local source. So far the analysis is telling me that I need to change a little more often than 10K miles.

I bought it used at 20K miles so have no idea of its history. First change analysis indicated it may have never been changed. Second change 10K miles later showed it needs an earlier change. Next change is next week at 7500 miles.
Your wasting your money and time on that oil analysis junk.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Never go a higher viscosity than recommended! If it calls for 5w-20, it's okay to use 0w-20, but don't go to 0w-30, or any viscosity higher than manual says.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts