Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2016 SR5 Dbl Cab TRD 4x4 Towing 4.6L V8 SR5 Upgrade Interior, Toyota Special Order One-Off
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dealer has recommended three service maintenance concerns. One i think is flat out BS. The other two I buy, but question the cost.
I own a 2016 SR5 Dbl Cab. 4.6L V8, TRD, 4x4, Tow Package.
104,000 miles.
Garage Kept, Great Care, Great Shape, Never an issue.
About to take a long trip. Had some routine things done. Tire Rotation, Oil Change, Coolant Flush & Fill.

1. New Lug Nuts $500.00 I Took Advantage of a FREE offer @ Toyota for a Multi-Point Inspection: In checking the breaks...Lug Nuts are swollen! Needed a different size socket to pull the tires? Never heard of it! My Costco Tires are rotated every 5000, NO PROBLEM. upon my inspection the lugs look GREAT! I was told that "in the event of a roadside flat, my emergency lug wrench may not fit". I'm thinking BULL SHIT! So, now I question the other recommendations as well...

2. Spark Plug Change, recommended at 100K, $225.00?

3. Transfer Case & Differential Fluid Change $200.00?

I would love some input here.

Thanks, Mike

·
Registered
100 Posts
I had them change the rear diff fluid on my 2017 Limited cost me only $62 CAD. Oil changes are $90CAD (I can’t do it myself for that cheap).
Im not sure if the prices they are quoting you are fair or not.

·
Registered
2016 SR5 Dbl Cab TRD 4x4 Towing 4.6L V8 SR5 Upgrade Interior, Toyota Special Order One-Off
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your reply. As I am preparing for a couple trips, one I still hope will be fishing in Ontario??? With my 2016 having 104K Miles on it... I wanted to perform all required maintenance. Having had no replies, I pulled the trigger and had the following done at my Toyota Dealer Service Center: Each is Parts & Labor Only, US Dollars, I left Tax out.

Basic Oil Change - $74.56
Coolant Flush & Fill - $167.37
Multi-Point Inspection - $19.95 was a Complimentary Coupon "FREE"
PA State Inspection "FREE" as Dealer Incentive with Vehicle Purchase
PA Emissions Inspection & Sticker - $55.97
Spark Plug Change (120K Iridium Plugs) - $292.08 ! This was the one I really thought was high and was wondering if a local repair shop would have been cheaper.
Transfer Case Fluid Change - $91.74
Front Differential Fluid Change - $87.74
Rear Differential Fluid Change - $108.24
Transmission Fluid Flush & Fill - $210.44
Price Match Credit! As I got a competing Toyota Dealer Estimate on the Spark Plugs $45.00 Credit
All in All with PA Sales Taxes = $1,113.42
Now only if the US/Canada Border Opens!!!!
Stay safe! Thank you again for your reply.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Not sure about the charge for the plug change, but I do know the iridium ones are quite expensive. Good on you for having the ATF serviced, the manual says that the fluid never needs to be changed, but my dealership said to do it around 100,000KM. ( they don’t “ flush” trannies anymore, they just do a “ spill and fill”). I sure hope the border opens soon as well, we own a travel trailer and a Thousand Trails campground membership. Practically all of the sites are in the US.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Thumper! I'm with you on the Border Opening soon! That and so much more! On the Transmission. I recall learning that the Tundra Tranies were now "Sealed" and no longer requireing dropping and changing a filter and fluid. However, "Spill & Fill" not sure what you mean by that. Here is what I believe or think I know. Fluids break down! Viscosity Breakdown occurs "Over Time" as well as "Usage". So it makes no sense to me how a "Sealed" Transmission is now somehow immune to Viscosity Breakdown. In Trannies that still change fluids and filters... are they not "Sealed" until opened? My dealer described a "Machine" that draws out old fluid, cleans the tranny, injects New Fluid. A bit more than what I invision in a "Spill & Fill" which is more what I invision with a routine Oil Change. So... I did it based on my understanding of Viscosity Breakdown.
When I had decided to purchase my Tundra, a friend of a friend was a critic. He cited a history of Transmission troubles with Tundra's. I had never before heard that, had you? Perhaps Tundra Owners who bought into the "Need Not Change Fluid" you said is in the manual? I know Dealers LOVE TO SELL SERVICE! But then again.... maybe this service shoud be in the manual as a required service?
Better Safe than Sorry!
The Tranny Service was just over $200.
A New Tranny... THOUSANDS of $$$$
A New Tundra... ???? TENS of THOUSANDS of $$$$
So....
Thank you again for the feedback.
I really surprised I only had this one response.
Oh well.

·
Registered
77 Posts
"My dealer described a "Machine" that draws out old fluid, cleans the tranny, injects New Fluid." sounds like a transmission flush to me. Something I wouldn't do if I had 100k on the transmission with no service being performed on previously. From my understanding the flush can dislodge crud in the transmission and not flush it out potentially causing issues down the road. I've been told better to drop the pan and drain it and refill. I believe there's a procedure for this for Tundra's that involves draining and refilling it a 2-3 times to make sure all the fluid has been replaced.

·
Registered
100 Posts
My dealer said that they don’t “flush” the transmission for the reason that meakerman describes. They do the “spill and fill” as mentioned.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I called my Dealer and shared what both of you have shared. He said there are two methods. Drain & Fill which is an incomplete exchange of fluid. Machine FLUSH, which if not done frequently enough, as would also be an issue with Drain & Fill, a piece of gunk could cause a problem. He recommended, as I agreed to do, checking the fluid and flushing as viscosity becomes apparent. 100K is neither too soon or late, so long as fluid viscosity breakdown has not gone on too long.
I'm still looking for an answer to SWOLLEN LUG NUTS! NEVER heard of it to this New Dealer alerted me to it. One warning was, a roadside flat tire, the vehicle equipped lug wrench would not fit, and I'd be screwed. I pulled it out and sure enough, it doesn't fit!
I'm pissed! I have my tires rotated every 5000 miles. At 62 years old, I've had my share of vehicles.
I HAVE NEVER HEARD OF SWOLLEN LUG NUTS!
The Dealer wants over $500 for a new set.
Since Costco, who's tires & rotation I now get, has never told me my lug nuts are swollen, and clearly both Costco & Toyota have a socket that does fit, do I get New Lug Nuts or a Different Size Lug Wrench to keep in the vehicle?
Finally, Is this a Safety Issue?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Just a flush alone, without dropping the pan doesn't allow the inspection of the filter and what's accumulated in the pan.

he's correct that simply just draining and filling is an incomplete fluid exchange.

There's instructions on the proper way to exchange the transmissions fluids for Tundras, the tech doing the work should follow the steps outlined by Toyota, that's the proper way to exchange the transmission fluids.

anytime you introduce new fluids into the transmissions, they have detergents that can wash deposits off the inner workings of the transmission. With the pan dropped and cleaned and a new filter installed you won't get any of the deposits that have accumulated in the pan/filter. I believe there are magnets in pan to trap deposits. those need cleaned off. By dropping the pan the tech can see the contamination level.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I had never heard of the "swollen lug nuts", so I googled it. Short explanation at this link:

I guess it's a thing. Has to do with corrosion between the decorative metal cap and the the portion of the nut that does the work.

A quick google for replacement lug nuts shows plenty of hits for replacements at well under $50 for the whole truck. Do it yourself and save the shekels for something else.

·
Registered
77 Posts
If I'm looking at the right ones, even buying Toyota wheel nuts, depending on which ones you need, runs between $35-215, from Sparks Toyota.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Did my reasearch, as best I could. It's Toyota OEM $$$$ $315 parts + Labor. vs After Market $40 to $115. Costco says they have the Lugs for $57 + Tax INSTALLED! I could not get my Dealers Parts Guy to acknowledge any Safety Issue. So... why spend $500+ and probably need to do it again in another 100K/4 years? After Market wont Rust ot Swell!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I scratch my head and wonder... who is the Rocket Scientist... at Toyota and every other manufacturer... who designed a "Two-Part Lug Nut" that not only suffers this failure... but is manufactured as a replacement at 4-5 times the cost of Aftermarket Lugs that will last. THEY PAY THESE GUYS FOR THESE IDEAS? No! We do when we buy their products!
At what point do you think they'll wonder; "What to do with all these $300-$500 Lug Nuts that nobody is buying?"
DumbMFers!

·
Registered
77 Posts
there's the two part sparkplugs that Ford used, that would break off in the engine when changing them. And get replaced with the same sparkplug.

definitely make you scratch your head at times.

·
Registered
100 Posts
That’s the first of heard of the warped lug nuts. Wow, never had this problem with any other vehicle I’ve owned or worked on.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
there's the two part sparkplugs that Ford used, that would break off in the engine when changing them. And get replaced with the same sparkplug.

Wow!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That’s the first of heard of the warped lug nuts. Wow, never had this problem with any other vehicle I’ve owned or worked on.
First for me as well!

·
Registered
100 Posts

Ah yes, the venerable 5.4 Triton. A tuneup could end up costing $1500 due to that stupid spark plug design. Not to mention the cam phaser wear that makes it sound like a diesel and destroys the entire top end...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thumper, now that you say that.... I owned two Mazda Tributes, my 2003 and my Son's 2004. Truthfully the best vehicles I ever owned up to that time. 260,000 miles out of both! Compared to every other vehicle, especially GM vehicles, that since the 1960's to 2000, NEVER LASTED PAST 120,000. So needless to say I was impressed. Ironically, these Mazda Tributes were designed & built as Mazda & Ford were once combined. The Tribute is/was a Ford Escape! Built here in the USA by FORD! The only "BIG BITCH" I had with the vehicles were THE SPARK PLUGS and THE INDIVIDUAL COIL PACKS on EACH! Combined with a 6 Cyl side facing front wheel drive Motor & Tranny, they had to remove a whole bunch of stuff just to get to the rear 3 cylinders up against the firewall. I had ONE cylinder test bad but was talked into doing all three as it was so expensive to get to one, may as well get to all three. Plugs & Coil Packs had to be replaced together. $100.00 each Plus Labor!!!! $600 for just the rear 3, just over $800 for doing all 6 as the front 3 were virtually only parts.
Ultimately, like my F150 Lariat, RUST finally killed the Tributes.
But my point, as yours i think, do design engineers try to improve? Or also make simple DIY repairs obsolete?
In my younger days, I could get to and change plugs myself! On today's Tundra, you still can! I'm just too old to be climbing in there. When they did my plugs, there was no mention of Coil/CoilPacks. I asked anyway. I was told the Iridium Plugs are good for 120,000 miles. Coil Packs are left alone untill they prove to fail! Well Designed!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts