Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My factory rotors and brake pads lasted >80k miles and I am very happy with them. I think now is the time to change both the rotors and pads. Looking for recommendation on rotors and brake pads I should go for. Should I stick with OEM or go for some after market upgrade? What are the pros and cons of diff options? Flexible on budget. Thanks for your time and assistance on this.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I’ve been happy with the factory stuff. I had TRD pads on and they have great bite without being finicky and a semi aggressive braking behavior beyond regular factory stuff, at the expense of brake dust and some pad life. To me, factory pads have a great balance of initial bite (though I do like the little bit more you get with the TRD pads), braking power, fade resistance, low noise, and low dust. My truck is never empty anymore, and I tow and haul often. The factory stuff has worked great for me.

Reactions: [email protected]

·
Registered
370 Posts
I don't think you can go wrong with the OEM stuff, but it is on the expensive side. I have used Wagner Thermoquiet pads several times and have been extremely happy with them. I can't tell any difference between the Wagner and OEM. I have used them on Fords, Honda's, and my Tundra's for years and they are great.

My last brake job (second brake job on this truck), I put O-Reilly Brake Best brand pads and rotors on and they also have worked great. The nice part is the Brake Best pads and rotors have a very good warranty (2 years I believe on the rotors) and they were much less expensive. If I remember right, it was like $400 a rotor from Yota and about $100 a piece from O-Reilly.

If your rotors are still smooth, I just put pads on mine the first time and did not turn them. Those rotors went to 140+k before I had to replace them. And at 140+K, they were just below minimum and could not be turned. For the price of rotors at O-Reilly's, it really makes it hard to justify OEM rotors or even spending the money to turn them.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
At 75k i used Centric premium coated rotors , Bosch semi ceramic Quiet Cast pads on the front , and the Wagner ThermoQuiet pads on the rear .

5-8K later , very happy . Quiet and stops quite darn well . Low dust . However some of the Centric E coating has burnt and lil rust forming . Which has been my general exp with any aftermarket coated rotor , the coating only lasts a while ( in the rust belt ) . PS. I am not hard at all on the brakes , but we do have hills and such in my area .

good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts