Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hay guys... The time has come for the Tundra to get new tires. Gonna replace the Michelins that were original. I like the Michelins, but wonder if I should go with something rated higher for towing a 7000 lb. rv. What do 'yall tow with or are the Michelins good?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm sticking with BF Goodrich ATs when towing my camper. I dry camp quite a bit and need the ATs.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Pick your favorite "e" rated tire. I like a little more side wall, so if you have 18" wheels I would stick with those. My next tires are going to be these:
NITTO RIDGE GRAPPLER LT275/70 R18 125Q E1 BSW. [email protected] PSI should do you fine.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Pick your favorite "e" rated tire. I like a little more side wall, so if you have 18" wheels I would stick with those. My next tires are going to be these:
NITTO RIDGE GRAPPLER LT275/70 R18 125Q E1 BSW. [email protected] PSI should do you fine.
I like those Nitto's. You got me thinking now......... I'm not finding my size on Discount tire though. Mine are 285/55 20

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hay guys... The time has come for the Tundra to get new tires. Gonna replace the Michelins that were original. I like the Michelins, but wonder if I should go with something rated higher for towing a 7000 lb. rv. What do 'yall tow with or are the Michelins good?
While the overall weight of the camper is relevant, the tongue weight is more important. My camper is also about 7000 lbs but the tongue weight is 960 lbs, which pretty much maxes out the load capacity om 17 CM Ltd. I ditched the 20" wheels and went with 18" E rated Michelins, which I pump up to 70 psi when I tow. I also installed Goodyear airbags. I get a nice level ride. But dont have any excess capacity to load up the bed. I sure wish Toyboata made a super duty.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have towed a 7000 lb travel trailer with all of my Tundra's with the stock Michelin tires. They worked fine. I suggest sticking with the Michelin. They are excellent tires, quiet, smooth, don't go out of balance, and seem to last a nice long time. I would not go to an E rated tires because of the ride quality. The stock tires are rated perfectly for what you want to do. The Tundra's seem to be very sensitive to side wall stiffness variations in tires so the tires you put on need to be well made. I have never had a problem with balance on the Michelin or BF Goodrich (made by Michelin), but have had lots of problems with shaking on almost all other brand I have tried. Stick with the Michelin tires. In my opinion, they are the best you can get.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts