Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
I noticed this the other day and thought it was just me being tired and mind playing tricks. But for a thread about this guess im not crazy.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Glad I saw this thread. My rear passenger tire sticks out about 1/2" to 3/4". I was going to have them "fix" it next time it was in for an alignment.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Fix?? forget about it!!

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
glad I saw this...I thought I was going crazy trying to manually fix this but failed...if they say its normal, then I will stop looking at it...

·
Registered
35 Posts
I only noticed this when I put wheels on I never noticed it with my stock wheels.. I thought I had two different offsets lol.. I have a 10 CM 2WD ant its about 3/4" further out on the passenger side. I guess I will have to try to forget about it..

Reactions: Jesco

·
Premium Member
3,286 Posts
Other manufacturers make the front wheels stick out further than the back wheels on both sides in the front... Look at Chevy full size or S10, Jeeps, etc... It was supposedly for traction and handling. It kept the front tires in a different path than the rears. Makes sense to me. Now days..... I'm guessing that's not a cool look to have anymore so Toyota probably just offset the rear somewhat. Keeps the rear tires in a different path that way too. I think my Dodge was the same way as the Chevys.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
is it possible that as you accelerate with a load the axle centers itself as the right rear is the one wheel that has power and torque applied to it first?

·
Premium Member
3,286 Posts
No I don't think so. I honestly believe the traction and handling stories I've always been told

Reactions: COCampfire

·
Registered
53 Posts
Thank God for the search function on this site.... I started to get a little nervous.

·
Premium Member
1,307 Posts
It's been posted here a bunch of times. Normal.

Mine is like 1/2" to one side but when I look at what direction the prop shaft turns and the forces applied I have to believe it would come out pretty even under the vehicle under heavy acceleration with load.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Yea Im not too worried about it now that its seems normal. I just happen to be looking at fender flares and noticed it, now that I have aftermarket wheels.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I noticed this on my 13 when I added 1.25" wheel spacers. I'm thinking it's not the axle that's misaligned, but the bed that is not perfectly aligned with the cab of the truck which is more precisely aligned with the frame than the bed is. My Tacoma was the same way. The fix was to loosen all the bed mounting bolts and realign the bed with the cab correctly....

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
8,147 Posts
I noticed this on my 13 when I added 1.25" wheel spacers. I'm thinking it's not the axle that's misaligned, but the bed that is not perfectly aligned with the cab of the truck which is more precisely aligned with the frame than the bed is. My Tacoma was the same way. The fix was to loosen all the bed mounting bolts and realign the bed with the cab correctly....

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Why would truck makers (not just Toyota) purposely misalign every single truck bed they manufacture? That doesn't make sense to me.

·
Premium Member
1,307 Posts
My bed is lined up with my cab perfectly - it's the axle that's off a tiny bit. Torsional forces while under heavy load pushes the axle towards the driver's side.

By all means line it up if you want - when under heavy load it'll stick out of the driver side a tad - up to you.

·
Premium Member
1,307 Posts
That just explains why the differential/driveshaft is not in the center - nothing to do with bed alignment or axle alignment with the frame/bed if memory serves me correctly [not watched it recently].

·
Registered
13,682 Posts
That just explains why the differential/driveshaft is not in the center - nothing to do with bed alignment or axle alignment with the frame/bed if memory serves me correctly [not watched it recently].
That's because an engineer answered the question(s)...

In reality the rear axle is likely offset even if you measure from the frame, I would go outside and measure, but it is dark, kinda chilly, and I am currently in boxers. Maybe tomorrow I will measure.

·
Premium Member
1,307 Posts
You're probably right. I said, "nothing to do with bed alignment or axle alignment with the frame/bed"

·
Registered
248 Posts
Wow, I have been freaking out in the garage... even took off the wheels and measured them center to straight edge across the tire. So thankful for TundraTalk!!

21 - 40 of 41 Posts