Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

Rear wheel bearing

29K views 19 replies 6 participants last post by  MCSpecial 
#1 ·
I have a an issue and was hoping someone could give a little advice to me. I own a 2007 trundra 5.7L 4x4. And was needing to replace my rear wheel bearing. Is there anyway I can replace them without getting them pressed out. I tried researching videos but am having no luck. Would like to do myself to save some money. Any advice or recommendations would help
Thanks
Warhammer04

#2 · (Edited)
I have no experience with Tundra rear wheel bearings...

But, assuming the principles haven't changed since the 80's, rear wheel bearings must be pressed OFF the axle, and it will be a TIGHT interference fit. Pressing the bearing off will typically require a 20T HF press, plus the fittings and jigs to set the axle up in the press. You will likely have to design and fabricate tools or jigs for the axle itself.

IIRC, the rear axle bearing presses off/on the rear axle as an assembly with both inner and outer races unlike front wheel bearings. IIRC, the outer race has a clearance or slip fit in the differential housing assembly. When pressing the bearing onto the axle, BE SURE that the tool (most likely a proper diameter pipe of sufficient length) contacts ONLY the inner race that's touching the axle fit. Press the bearing on using the outer race and you will ruin the bearing; these bearings are not designed to transmit the required axial (thrust) force for installation through the rolling elements.

#4 ·
Not in my job description; if you're not, then you'll get the message...one way or the other. :lol:

#6 ·
Nice. Lol����
What I mean is...I just try to help people with questions that sometimes overlap my personal experience (and sometimes my opinions based on engineering experience).

I am unqualified, not to mention unauthorized, and disinterested in determining what forum a post asking said question should be posted. :D

But...if I were posting the question, I probably would have used "Forum Problems; Maintenance, Repair, and Dealer/Warranty Issues". If you're lucky, you'll get there soon enough. ;)

#7 ·
Warhammer05, I just replaced my front bearings on my 14 tundra CM. From what I know from experience and still dealing with a couple issues, If I were you, I would by the whole bearing hub assembly. I choose to buy just the bearing and do the pressing myself. Well, 4 bolts, a tug and you put the new bearing hub assembly on and 30 mins later your good to go. If you choose the other route, you will need a press, a arsenal of plates, numerous size round bar, a couple hours to spare, special tool, new seals, grinder to cut off bottom bearing race, and list goes on. By spending about a $100-$200 more, you will just have 4 bolts to deal with. 3 weeks later Im in contact with a toyota master mechanic trying to figure out why I have ABS & slip indicator lights on.

Buy the whole bearing hub assembly, do it yourself and save money and the headache!!!

Hopes this helps you buddy!!

#15 ·
I don't understand...there are only about 100 videos on replacing the Tundra rear wheel bearing on youTube.com, and you say you can't FIND any information??!! :whoa:

I'm not recommending this one (Part 1) to exclusion of others, but the guy seems to know what he's doing. The video seems detailed (maybe too detailed) and complete, and it's for a 2007...should be just right for you:

Warning: This a Three and Half Wrench job. If you don't know what a rear wheel bearing looks like, then you should leave this for professionals. :yesnod:

Reactions: Powertechn2
#16 ·
Also, go by a dealership, go to parts and let them pull up the part on there computer, look at real good and make sure if and when you order on from ebay its the exact match. watch a hand full go videos, you will find a couple variations between them, make your decision, pull the trigger and stick with the plan. from most of the post your received, if you can't and don't understand it or still unsure, you may need a professional.

Good luck buddy

#18 ·
Look guys I appreciate the help. I have looked at videos til I have a headache. There are millions of videos but only a few on this subject on 2007 trundra I’m trying to collect as much information as possible Im no mechanic I work in the emergency Room and I paid to way to much for my truck to have myself mess it up ever more then what it already just trying to save money so thanks again

#19 ·
There is a TSB about it, might not list 2007, but the axle bearings are the same for 07+. Or at least the same design.

My 2010 needed the TSB performed. There is a kit that comes with bearings, and a new dust shield for the brake rotor.

If you are not mechanically inclined to this depth, I would suggest calling a few local rear end or ring and gear type shops and see what they would charge vs the dealer. Might save at least some vs dealer.

There are a few things that can go wrong, even if you get the bearings pressed off/on by a shop. There are baffles you can break loose, then have to take it all back apart.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.