Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, this is my first post so I hope this is in the right place!

I just removed my rear sway bar. Unfortunately, it was installed on the truck when I purchased it. I do not have the stock bolts to replace where the sway bar was bolted onto the frame rail. I am struggling to identify what bolt to purchase for the frame rail. From scouring the web I have found that a 10x1.25 might be the right size and pitch. However, I am uncertain as to what length of the bolt I need to get. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Slim Jim

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
If I remember correctly, the stock frame bolts are the ones you removed when you took the sway bar off. Simply put those bolts back...

Dave

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Hey all, this is my first post so I hope this is in the right place!

I just removed my rear sway bar. Unfortunately, it was installed on the truck when I purchased it. I do not have the stock bolts to replace where the sway bar was bolted onto the frame rail. I am struggling to identify what bolt to purchase for the frame rail. From scouring the web I have found that a 10x1.25 might be the right size and pitch. However, I am uncertain as to what length of the bolt I need to get. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Slim Jim
they will be the same as the other ones holding the hitch on the frame sides.
just remove one and check.

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
please re-read op's posting.
The way I read it was his truck came with a sway bar which he uninstalled. If he uninstalled it, he should be able to put those frame bolts back as they don't come with the sway bar kit anyway. Is that not what he did?

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
The way I read it was his truck came with a sway bar which he uninstalled. If he uninstalled it, he should be able to put those frame bolts back as they don't come with the sway bar kit anyway. Is that not what he did?
"I just removed my rear sway bar. Unfortunately, it was installed on the truck when I purchased it. I do not have the stock bolts to replace where the sway bar was bolted onto the frame rail"
does this help?:facepalm:

the bolts included in the swaybar kit are much longer and need the included spacer to clamp down.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That is correct I don’t have the stock bolts and the ones that came with the sway bar kit are too long. I will have to purchase new bolts. But I couldn’t find the correct size. Thanks to all your help I have been pointed on the right direction!

Slim Jim

·
Premium Member
4,000 Posts
Put the sway bar back on.
The tundra corners and turns much better with it than without...

Unless you lifted and off road often, you're better off with the sway bar...

Otherwise perhaps @ToyotaOfCoolSprings can direct you to the appropriate stock bolt..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the advice! My tundra is lifted and I seem to be off-roading more and more often now =) From what I have understood the suspension functions more freely without the sway bar. So it seemed like a good step!

·
Registered
30 Posts
So with the sway bar removed, you will have better suspension articulation for uneven surfaces, but more body roll when cornering. Some 4 wheel drives have sway bar attachments (links) that can be disabled in the field, and reattached for street use. These fit a jeep, as an example. www.extremeterrain.com/zone-offroad-sway-bar-disconnects-for-345-lift-9706-tj.html?utm_content=XT Handling - Swaybars and Disconnects|Zone Offroad&T5_Var4=J110946&intl=0&utm_campaign=XTW+Wrangler+No+Vehicle+High&dialogtech=ppc&utm_source=google-pla&utm_medium=shopping&T5_Var2=shopping&gclid=Cj0KCQjwi7DtBRCLARIsAGCJWBqFhMZCf0fUFj0_l5v4zzWL4hE0s74IeAChjwklUjnGeMe2CbMb8YEaAu0JEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was looking at that when I was weighing my options. Those look like a great investment for a later date! I rarely take my corners fast enough to have significant body roll, and I am not in a position to be towing anything currently. So I may just leave the rear sway bar off for now.

·
Registered
266 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Tough lesson to learn, isn't it? The dealer should have all the bushing sets, brackets, and bolts to restore it to normal. Why on Earth did you remove it?

·
Premium Member
4,000 Posts
Tough lesson to learn, isn't it? The dealer should have all the bushing sets, brackets, and bolts to restore it to normal. Why on Earth did you remove it?
WTF are you talking about?
What lesson are you referring to?

The OP bought the truck with a RSB and he wants to remove it.
The only items he needs to remove it is the 2 stock bolts originally on the hitch frame.
@Slimjim316 I just remembered my stock bolts are in the attic in my Toyota box.
If you need me to I can get them down and measure the length.
I'd like to keep mine because I'll include them when, or if, I ever sell my truck.
@wktjr eBay suggestion sure does 'look' like them but they would be too long, those are the bolts to mount the RSB.
The bolts for the RSB are indeed M14x1.5x120 (22mm) so the stock bolts would be shorter than those in that ebay link .
At least according to the RSB instructions.

http://toyotaparts.sparkstoyota.com/install/PTR11-34070inst.pdf

If you need me to measure my OEM bolts, let me know..

·
Registered
266 Posts
I misread the post. My link is for the sway bar bolts obviously..

·
Registered
154 Posts
The rear anti-sway bar is not going to have any impact on off road performance, unlike lifting a truck which is a screwy thing to do. Last thing one wants when off road is to have a higher center of gravity for control of the truck and a lifted truck is more like to experience a suspension failure. Not a big deal if you go to a off road park to play but a very big deal in the back country.

An anti-sway bar on a truck functions differently than on a lightweight sports car or sedan. It effectively transders road shock from one wheel to the one on the opposite side. It can greatly reduce wheel hop with a pickup truck where there is much less weight at the rear as compared to a SUV or sedan.

Sometime take a look at the vehicles that actually finish long off road races like the Baja 1000 or the Dakar Rally. See how the designers have engineered the suspensions for these race vehicles.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just installed mine last year and just found my instructions. The bolt that is removed (forward most hitch frame bolt on trucks equipped with a hitch per instruction) on the stock truck is evidently shorter. The one that comes with the kit is a M14 x 1.5 x 120 (22mm). I honestly don't know why the bolt you remove couldn't just go back in there unless it is not threaded all the way through which it may not be. If it's not, you could just find somewhere that has that size above or shorter threaded and that would likely do it. Sorry they say advice is worth what you pay, but hopefully this helps.

I will say for what's it worth - for on road use the sway bar and larger tires have been the best purchases I have made and I'm on my 3rd Tundra. I'm on road 95% of the time and crawling around job sites, over ditches, etc for the other 5%. Good luck.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts