Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody know what the shock length is on a fully compressed stock suspension? I need the eye to eye measurement. Going to fully droop the suspension next week and measure that, but I dont really want to disconnect my leafs to get the compression measurement since I just put new ones in.

Any help would be appreciated... and beers if you're near temecula :D

·
Registered
118 Posts
Get a tape measure and measure from the center of the lower mounting bolt and about an inch past the top of the shock body. That should be the collapsed length. To get exact, measure the distance between the two top bushings to the washer below the bottom bushing. That should be about an inch or so. That's what you would add to the measurement above.

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have the stock shock sitting on my garage floor. Are you sure that an inch past the top of the shock body is accurate?

And how do we know that the collapsed length of the stock shock is the true collapsed measurement? That would assume that the shock is fully compressed when the axle is compressed to the bump. Is it?

I dont want to order the wrong shock...

·
Registered
118 Posts
Since you've got the stock shock on the ground, fully collapse it, and hold it collapsed with a tie down, or whatever you have. Measure the center of the eye(lower shock mount) to the center of the two upper bushings in the stud. That will be your collapsed length of that shock. If it had an eye on top, you would measure eye to eye. For extended length, remove the tie down or whatever, and take those measurements again. The difference will be your travel, stroke etc.

·
Premium Member
3,714 Posts
compressed length is 15 7/8"

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry if Im being dense, but I dont want to measure the stock shock. I dont know if the collapsed length of the stock shock matches the actual suspension's compressed length.

compressed length is 15 7/8"
Is that for a compressed stock shock or actual suspension compression?

The reason I want the actual suspension compression is because the foxs I currently are running have a 2" spacer at the upper shock mount. I really dont understand the reason for the spacer, but I suspect that I can run a King 2.5x10" which measures 18.375" and 28.375" with minimal changes to the upper shock mount. Depending on my droop measurements, I might try to fit a 2.5x12 adjustable King, measures 20.650" and 32.650" by moving the upper shock mounts and changing the shock angle. But if I can get the length I need with the 10" then I would rather keep the stock angles.

·
Premium Member
3,714 Posts
Sorry if Im being dense, but I dont want to measure the stock shock. I dont know if the collapsed length of the stock shock matches the actual suspension's compressed length.

Is that for a compressed stock shock or actual suspension compression?

The reason I want the actual suspension compression is because the foxs I currently are running have a 2" spacer at the upper shock mount. I really dont understand the reason for the spacer, but I suspect that I can run a King 2.5x10" which measures 18.375" and 28.375" with minimal changes to the upper shock mount. Depending on my droop measurements, I might try to fit a 2.5x12 adjustable King, measures 20.650" and 32.650" by moving the upper shock mounts and changing the shock angle. But if I can get the length I need with the 10" then I would rather keep the stock angles.

The thickness of the new leafs, tire size, bump stop being used and the actual path of the rear axle will determine the amount of room you have. If you're really wanting to stuff the rear tires without bottoming out the shocks or making contact you may need to test your wheel travel on each side. Most offroad shops have a travel ramp you can use for free. Measuring will definitely help but the travel ramp will eliminate any guessing. If you're able to locate a ramp remove the rear shocks and watch as the suspension articulates, limit straps can also be a great tool :)

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The thickness of the new leafs, tire size, bump stop being used and the actual path of the rear axle will determine the amount of room you have. If you're really wanting to stuff the rear tires without bottoming out the shocks or making contact you may need to test your wheel travel on each side. Most offroad shops have a travel ramp you can use for free. Measuring will definitely help but the travel ramp will eliminate any guessing. If you're able to locate a ramp remove the rear shocks and watch as the suspension articulates, limit straps can also be a great tool :)
You are absolutely right, but I was hoping someone had already measured a stock suspension so that I have a place to start. I totally forgot about my leaf pack too. It is thicker than the stock one so that will be a factor as well.

I also plan on running a hydro bump stop. So I guess this is really an exercise in futility.

Thanks for all your help fellas I really appreciate it :)

I guess I will just be patient and take it to a shop for some proper measurements.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts