Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking at relplacing the rear seat power outlet that is on the center console, to a dual outlet USB. The ones I've seen on Amazon look sort of cheap/poor quality. I'd like to use something that looks like its factory. The people that have done this mod, what did you use, and where did you get it?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Reactions: DTdr2

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Charging only, for the kids. Just after something that is hard wired and looks somewhat factory. I've seen some on amazon that have annoying bright LEDs on them, or just look like garbage in general.

·
Premium Member
129 Posts

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
Very nice. What's the best way the replace the plug in the center console? Does the panel just pop off?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
You'll need to remove the gear shift knob first, then remove the panel that surrounds the gear shift indicator. I used a plastic pry tool so I wouldn't scratch the plastic of the truck.
Can then pull up where the arrow is to remove the larger surround panel. This will then expose the plug in the console.

I just purchased one of the plugs from the Amazon link that MT Madman posted to replace the one on the back of the console for the rear passengers. I'll be sure to post how it goes. :)

·
Registered
109 Posts
^^^^Thx, and got a handle on the front one, but looking to do the lighter on the rear of the console. Does it pop out the same way?

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
^^^^Thx, and got a handle on the front one, but looking to do the lighter on the rear of the console. Does it pop out the same way?

It’s just as easy. I’ve found that if you’ve ever played with Lego’s, you’ll be able to work on the interior of a Tundra. They literally just snap together :D
I just got the USB charger in today and was all ready to install. My installation came to a halt when I discovered the diameter of the new USB charger is larger than the stock power plug. I haven’t decided if I’m going to widen the hole and complete the install or just send it back to Amazon and use what I already have.
Anyway, here are the steps I took:

Use a plastic pry tool to separate the back panel from the console. Just pry it up a little and pull up and toward you – not too much force is needed:

Lay the panel on the floorboard and disconnect the plug from the existing charger:

Remove the 3 screws holding in the existing panel for the charger and remove it:

Inside the existing charger are 2 tabs that are directly across from each other. Lightly press them from the inside out or lightly pry them on the outside of the charger while pressing on the back. The charger should then pop out when the tabs have cleared. For me it was easier to pry them from the outside (2nd photo below):

Once the charger is out, you then need to depress the tabs on the sides of the flange to pop it out of the panel:

Here’s where I stopped. I placed the mounting ring for the new USB charger over the existing hole to show the size difference:

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I wonder if in a different Toyota model, such as Camry, Tacoma, etc..., they make a USB charging port that would be a direct replacement for the ones in the Tundra consoles? We've got 4 power outlets and only 1 USB, if it were my choice, I'd of made it the other way around.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.