Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've searched the forum and see that some folks are saying that they had their rear main seal changed but it was actually the seal housing. Mine has been leaking for a while and I'm wanting to finally tackle the issue. Any idea what the dealer would charge to replace the seal and re-seal the housing? I hear that there was an issue with the dowels sticking out too far? I'm a mechanic by trade but not sure I can get the trans out by myself. I'm not too stoked on trusting the dealer to do it though either. I suppose it took over 100k to start leaking so can't complain that much. 2010 Tundra Crew Max with 5.7L and 135k

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Are you 1000% sure it's the rear main seal? I'm asking because your mileage seems low to me for this to be occurring. You're sure it's not a hard-to-see valve cover leak where the oil is finding it's way to the area of the rear main seal and thereby making it look like the rear main seal? It can be very difficult to get good eyes on the firewall side/end of the valve covers.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Last time I looked it was clean and dry up top (from what I could see without an inspection camera)

I had a valve cover leak when it was pretty new and it would get down on the exhaust manifold and burn. No burning oil smell this time.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've searched the internet high and low and can't seem to find a picture of what it looks like behind the flywheel.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Did you ever get this fixed? i seem to have same issue with leak from Rear Main area. Looks dry around cam covers/valve covers.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts